Author Topic: ID 265 in 48bombers machine  (Read 7395 times)

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
ID 265 in 48bombers machine
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »
Hey all,
  My machine has a ID 265 chrysler engine ,and i want to replace the points , condenser, wires, plugs. The copys of the bomber manuals do not show this size of engine. Would the  .020 gap spec from the manuals of the smaller ID chrysler engines be the same.
  The engine seems to be missing when needing power , above idel.(how to spell idel?...)  I thought I would start with this to see if it helps.
  Any info on the 265 would be great.
   48bomber

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: ID 265 in 48bombers machine
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:07:33 pm »
18 thousand gap for 265 industrail
                                                 kpm

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:10:09 pm »
kpm,
  thanks for the gap setting,  thats what i will go by.
  Today I had a good look at the distributor , and compared to the copy manual for the smaller ID ingines. The one I have has no vacum to advance timing. I dont understand how the advance works. Mabie there is none?
  I have ordered new parts , and a friend will help install, but I want to understand how it works.
  I could not find much on the ID265 chrysler on the net. About the only thing was they were hard engines to find, and seem to be in some old army trucks.
  48bomber

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:17:09 pm »
If you go to the GENERAL ELECTRICAL part of this forum you will find some info posted earlier that may help you to get part numbers and timing settings for more power. All the chrysler flat heads were pretty much the same and most 265's were 12 volt from new. They develope torque at low rpm and are a pretty peppy engine if you get them set up right.

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:02:03 pm »
Hey All,
  Today I replaced points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter. I started the engine after each part replaced to be sure it would run , and I was not adding more problems to the rough running engine. There was  no improvement at all.....
  The carb kit to redo the carb was about $80  , and a new refurbished one was $160. I ordered the new one. Ittook about 10 min to put on. I started the engine , warmed it up , ajusted the low speed jet ,and idle screw.Instant change and smooth as can be!!
  We all got in and went for a test, perfect.
   The 265 engine is a peppy engine and moves the machine along with ease. My son drove it around the loop and loved it. My daughter ,4yrs old sat on my knee and held the wheel and was laughing and squeeling in fun. We returned home well after dark looking forward th Tomorrow!!
  48 bomber

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »
do u have the part # for the refubished carb??

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:21:53 pm »
KPM
  Yes i have the info in the shop. I will post it all Mon night after work.
   48bomer

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:19 am »
great thnxs,have a friend wanting to get a refurbished carb
                                                                                     kpm

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:12:00 pm »
The part number on the bill from Scorpio Brg in Flin Flon was C522 but I suspect that may be the part number given by the rebuilder /supplier in Wpg. Maybe Autoline? Was $130 less 55 core in 2003. The rebuid parts kit numbers from NAPA are listed by Averyman

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:13:27 am »
thanks cranman,i'll pass on the info...we have snow now eh...lol..went through a drift up to the bottom of the window yesterday..
                                  kpm

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
kpm,

The info  is correct from cranman .The price was $160 for the carb, and $60 for the core charge here in Ontario. It was a Napa store that I got it from within3 days!  I went with the hole carb , and not the rebuild kit . The rebuild was about $80.  I spent some time comparing the old to the new one to see if i could figure out what was going on with the old one. I seen nothing worn or wrong with the old one , but there sure is somthing better with the new as it now runs perfect.
  Hope this works !
  48bomer

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:49 am »
ty for the info,cranman was right autoline has them...you juz have to go through the dealer here in mb..price is roughly the same.....and i agree hard to beat new
                                                                                        kpm