Author Topic: axel seals on a 1951 narrow wood bomber  (Read 4231 times)

Offline jerry7063

• View Profile
axel seals on a 1951 narrow wood bomber
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:44:06 pm »
I need to replace the axel seals on my bomber. I believe it is an original chrysler rearend but the outter seals were falling apart and and don't even appear to have been the right ones in the first place.anyone who would share any information,part numbers,or possible part sources would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jerry

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: axel seals on a 1951 narrow wood bomber
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:05 am »
If you go to the Body swction of this forum, about the 5th one down startede by Averyman you will find all the numbers.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:39:21 am »

When I go out to the shed today I will look for the ##'s on the old seals I have. Hey Oldsledz, did you change the axle seals & bearings in your bomber??
                                                                         OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:55:17 am »
O.T. 

When you take them apart,  the numbers should be on all the components.  You will have an inner seal inside the housing,  a tapered roller bearing and race, then an outer seal.  Mine all had numbers on them and they were available.  Watch for thin shims on the cover plate that holds the outer seal and bearing in place.  It is the cover that has 5 studs w/nuts holding them.  These shims determin the axle end play from the left and right axle.  Dan Shavers says it should be around .010 axle endplay.  You can check it with a dial indicator--one that checks brake rotor out of round works best.

Note,  the inner seal keeps the gear oil from getting to the bearing and there is a grease fitting that services the bearing.   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:37 am »

Sorry Oldsledz, no numbers on my seals. I still have the old seals that came out. I had the seals & bearings ordered through Kinecor, but I'm waiting to get a complete rear end that's supposedly been used up till last winter.
  The inner seal measured 1.404 ID & 2.431 OD. 
  The outer seal measured 2.169 ID & 2.650 OD.

The bearing number on mine is 25877.
  The race number is 25821.
Oldsledz can you post the numbers for your seals & bearings?? My axle has two shims per side & grease nipples, same as yours.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:51:31 pm »
Looked at Averyman's comments again re his 1951 and those brg and cups are right. The inner seal is CRS 13892 which is 450776 in National. The outer seal Chrysler is 1064856 which is National 5797 and I was lucky enough to get a pair of them but Averyman couldn't get them. NAPA told him that they were being replaced by CR20380 but they weren't available yet a year ago so he used CR20526 by machining the dimples off the hub that held the old seals in place. There must be some of those hard to get 5797's on the shelf somewhere.