Author Topic: Engine lead additive?  (Read 5456 times)

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
Engine lead additive?
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:43:03 pm »
Hi all,
  Light snow today!

In a box that came with the b12 , there was a empty container of fuel additive for engines that would have had leaded gas. I think in 1948 it was leaded fuel , so I wonder what people are doing with todays fuel. Is there concern for our old engines?
  48bomber

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
Re: Engine lead additive?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:50:56 am »
I go to my local airport with a few gas cans and get 100 octane low lead and blend it with premium unleaded.  The 100 is also the best form of stabil going.  I drain all the gas out of my antique snomobiles,  lawn mover etc  and put a gallon of that in and the next season,  they start like they ran yesterday.  As that fuel evaporates, it leaves no residue. Around here it is about a dollar a gallon more than premium.   Also,  you should be able to buy lead additive.

Oldsledz

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:10:34 pm »
Oldsledz,
  Thanks for the reply. I will investigate the auto parts store tomorow and see what is there. The local airport wont sell fuel , I have a friend that tryed for a car he had. Good idea if it was available.
  Any snow yet? We got enough th get the ski-doo renegage out of the trailer and arround the yard!!!
  48bomer

Offline super

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »
this is an old topic, but if the cylinder head is ever rebuilt or upgraded, you should be able to use unleaded fuel with new valve and timing configurations

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:14 am »
I believe you can used unleaded fuel if you change to stainless steel valves and valve seats.  Lead was more commonly used and a lubricant for the valve train and also the amount of lead in the fuel dictated the flame spread of ignition at the spark plug .  I think the combustion temperatures are hotter in unleaded fuel than in the old leaded fuel.  Valve timing does not change,  but you may play with ignition timing.