Author Topic: floor plywood  (Read 5542 times)

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
floor plywood
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:07 pm »
Hey all,
  What is the thoughts on sealing off the engine compartment ,trans, driveshaft ,etc from the cab? Will itmake a difference on cooling engine ?The machine I have seems like it will be noisy and gassy in the cab. 
  48bomber

Offline gror

• View Profile
Re: floor plywood
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:45:58 pm »
I did it and it made a big difference. Way better!!

Offline Stuk-n-Slush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »
On the metal machines there are vents at the front of the floor that can be closed off.This works well  (close in warm weather, open in cold weather). The air will still blow under drivers floor and out the engine doors for cooling.

If your Machine has a gassy smell in the cab,this may be a leaking exhaust gasket which should be fixed for obvious reasons. To ckeck for leaks run your hand around the manifold when the engine is running cold,you'll feel a puff of air where the leak is.

If you have an oily smell in the cab check your pcv valve.On my old woody I've run a 1" piece of rubber hose from the oil filler tube on the block to a vent on the fender ( stock on the woodys ). This keeps all the smell out of the cab exept the odd spilled rum.

I have a  piece of carpet on the floor in all my machines,this cuts the noise down. I may spray the under side of the floors with box liner spray to reduce it even more. Or just put in a loud sterio.

Stuk-n-slush

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »
I guess my main concern would be for the differential cooling. Normally a diff is out dragging in the snow but in a bombardier it is inside. In hard going I usually leave the slide opening open enough to slide my hand in on the go to see how hot the diff is. If you can't touch it for a few seconds without burning your fingers you should be under 200F. I like the oil pipe bypass on the woodies that stuk-in slush has and if I get any more blowby in mine I'm going to braze in a nipple on a downward angle of the oil tube just below the cap and run a hose over to the air cleaner. Shouldn't be too hard to put a nipple on the aircleaner and find a hose to fit.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »
Of course I meant that if you can;t touch it, it is over 200F and you better wait a bit for it to cool.

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:00 pm »
Some great sugestions that I will look at for sure. I think I will make the floor and end panels fit better to help with noise and smell. I checked the manifold ,and can not feel any leaks. I think I will spend some time driving it before I seal it off due to the heat concerns. I never thought of the diff temp !
   48 bomber

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »
On the metal machines there are vents at the front of the floor that can be closed off.This works well  (close in warm weather, open in cold weather). The air will still blow under drivers floor and out the engine doors for cooling.
If you have an oily smell in the cab check your pcv valve.On my old woody I've run a 1" piece of rubber hose from the oil filler tube on the block to a vent on the fender ( stock on the woodys ). This keeps all the smell out of the cab exept the odd spilled rum.

Stuk-n-slush
  Stuk-n-Slush do you have any pics of the area that I have highlighted?? I will be starting from scratch with mine.              OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.