Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 13953 times)

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
Brakes
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:12:52 am »
Hello out there and I just want to say that this forum is a great way for us Snowbus guys to move information around. I'm down here in Sault Ste Marie restoring a R63 which I got off a retired fisherman who used to work Lake Nipigon. It has been a long endeavour but interesting.
Has anyone ever come up with a reliable braking system. The drum brake on the transmission is not the most reliable way to use in a continuous operation. It would seem to me that some sort of hydraulic hand operated master cylinder and caliper and disc could be mounted on the input pinion of the Differential 
Any ideas or suggestions out there
Have a great winter and be careful

Offline Skenman

• View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:53:23 pm »
Yup, Snowbusman, that would be a good idea. Caliper/rotor
I had a new pads installed on my drum shoes, but do not
use it much .it is flimsy.  better idea might b to install a rotor
infront of the tranny, because there is more room to facilitate, there.

I have a 62 wide gauge.with 313 v8.

Skenman

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:54:12 am »
Hi there Skenman
Thaqnk you for the return. I have a 63 machine which has the313 eng. with the 3 speed standard. Notice I said had.
I am converting it to a 727 automatic which I was able to find and have rebuilt in Thunder Bay. The 727 is early vintage (aluminum) from a push button chrysler so it has the rear brake drum. The shifter has been modified to a pistol grip shifter. The engine crankshaft required some modification. I wanted to stay with the Poly. I had one in my Shepherd runabout so I've had experience with them. This project has been going for 6 years now but we just bought a new house with a heated shop. I plan on bringing her home this spring and start working on it full time. It just to find the time. Years ago I talked to a fellow in the Kirkland Lake area and he talked about his installation of brakes on the differential. I 'll try to find his name in my notes and touch bases with him.
Bob

Offline cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 08:41:28 am »
Hello Snowbusman
 I have always thought modernizing the Bombardier braking system would be a welcome modification.  I have done a few caliper brake rig ups.  We purchase a small rotor and caliper assembly to match,weld a flange on the pinion yoke to bolt the rotor on to.  A mount must be designed and welded to the diff to attach the caliper.  I am trying to locate a hydraulic caliper assembly with a mechanical lever and cam that can be connected to an emergency brake cable.  I will soon have this part no. available.  The brake slave cylinder can be set up in many ways.  I hope the pictures will help you out for ideas.

Cletus

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Caliper%20Brake/miscimages020.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Caliper%20Brake/IM000739.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Caliper%20Brake/IM000740.jpg

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:47:06 pm by Swamp Dawg »

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:42:25 am »
Thanks Cletus for the great information
I think I sent this yesterday but it has not appeared.
Would you be interested in doing this modification on others machines or at least supplying drawings and part description.
When I used to Drag race we used a thing called Line Lock which was electrical and locked the brake system. Maybe something like that would work for the parking brake as long as it doesn't need power when in the locked position.
Well keep in touch
Snowbusman

Offline cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 07:58:34 pm »
Snowbusman
We quickly rigged up a caliper brake set up in our Bombardier equipped with a Chev 1 ton diff.  We mounted the caliper support plate to the top pinion flange bolts,then fabed up an angle iron frame that the caliper can float on.  The picture will give you an idea of the design.  On a diff with no pinion bolts you will be forced to weld an attachment to the housing to support the caliper assembly.  I can supply a drawing at a latter date.  Good luck.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Caliper%20Brake/Bombardier1952014.jpg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:37:24 am by Swamp Dawg »

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:04:03 pm »
I was wondering if this brake could be run off a hydrolic pump being there is one installed already?Any info would be great.

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 12:48:09 pm »
I wonder if a hydraulic hand pump unit would work?
We use them in helicopters for rotor brakes. Pull On/Push Off.
Either way something has to be attached to the Differential to mount the caliper

Great info
Bob

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04:10 am »

Is there any way that you can use an " E BRAKE " setup from vehicles from the 60's up?  I was showing a friend the setups that were shown on here for brakes. He showed me the replacement shoes for his 2003 Chevy pickup. They are not very big. Maybe they can be hooked up somehow with a cable to the pedal, doing away with calipers, brake lines & brake fluid. I guess there's a bit of fabrication involved in  mounting it. It's an idea. Any one think this could work??

The Old Trucker
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »
I have disc brake on my wide gauge,i'll try and take some pictures of the set up in the near future
                                                                           kpm

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:24:55 pm »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:26:29 pm by chopperguy »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:17 am »
   Chopperguy when you apply the brake are you pushing the pads together or pulling them together?? I like the idea of it being mechanical. No lines to chafe & make a mess.  Got any more info on this setup??   Also in both pics I noticed what looks like a homemade muffler, built from square tubing. Do you have any baffles inside it?? Looks good. Great idea. How about the sound? I love a deep mellow sound like Cam got on his.
Ol' school style!  I'm at the stage that my engine is 95% ready to go in place. Now is the time for me to start sizing this stuff up.

The Old Trucker
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:15:15 am by the old trucker »

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:01 pm »
The brakes are apllied by pulling the pads together via a very long rod from the brake peddle...works quite well not that you have to use the brakes that often where I live with the open fields but when you do they work just fine.The box muffler is what the machine originally came with when I purchased it 4 yrs ago.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:48:02 pm »

AND THE LATEST FROM KPM !!

Claude
            sending u pics of my brake set up on wide gauge and the ski boggie set up on my narrow wooden,plus  juz a couple pics of  them
 hope all is good,u can post on nt if u wish..i dont know how lol,,
                                                                                                take care
                                                                                                              kyle
u might want this on ur narrow,this way u skip the chain set up.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM542.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM541.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM537.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM538.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM540.jpg

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:52:14 pm »

kpm it looks OK. At least everything is in one area. Clean & neat. Not much for lines to rub on & leak.