Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 14019 times)

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:50:12 am »
it's quite simple,and works 100% great,much more positive braking than the old style band brake.
 Though they work too,and sure help when going down steep banks.The little narrow has the band type and no complaints.Owned a few without any brakes,and my preference would be to HAVE!!..lol.
                                                                                                                                    kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:02 am »

In the pic there are two long levers to the left of the steering wheel. I was told they were steer brakes & were built for the canadian forces. Anyone have any info on this ??

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/Snowmobile2.jpg

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 08:08:54 pm »
I think around 48 they tried it. Don't think it had anything to do with the army but it didn't seem to catch on. I think the ones here had two foot pedals but these were removed when rebuilt. Don't think there were very many of them made.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:04 am »

Thanks for the info Cranman. I know there is another 1951 here with these brakes & he says they help alot on ice & narrow trails.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 08:28:44 pm »
Ialked to Ted Playford about these and he has seen a few. One is in Flin Flon. The brakes were at the hub and they were hydraulic and 2 master cylinders mounted on each side of the drivers seat, maybe 18 inch levers. The operators manual said to pull the lever well ahead of the corner to burn off the ice. Ted thinks they were short lived because of safety. You can immagine what would happen if you put the brake on one track of a narrow guage on glare ice !!!! One thihg about cleats on ice.....If they get 10 degrees off straight  ahead, they immediately go to 90 degrees and stay that way until you are stopped. Problem is that even if there is a frozen muskrat turd frozen on the ice...over you go.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 09:02:02 pm »
yes beware of frozen muskrat turds!!
                                                    kpm

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:56 pm »
Ted is right about the  brake set up to a tee!!...On a 1948 wooden wide gauge once owned by the post office for mail delivery...there was an 18 in braking lever on each side of the drivers seat,which worked off of a master clyinder on each side...i'd never seen this type of set up until today...it's very interesting to say the least,and was very functional on this wooden......I strongly agree with Ted and Bob that these bombardiers were quite a rare find.....this bombardier was in decent shape,it had been stored inside,that being said even though it was in a garage ,a tree had been blown down on the garage and smashed part of the roof ...I believe it could be revamped by anyone more handy with wood than myself..lol.
                                                                                    kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

Here is the bomber that kpm was talking about in the above post.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM1016-2.jpg

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 09:36:06 pm »
that's the one,Peter,who has 5 other bombardiers,is going to bring this one back to par to make 6 in his collection,as he has bought it from me.
                                                        kpm

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 10:16:06 pm »
Was searching the web and came across this website
https://postalmopar.com/product-category/pinion-brakes/