Author Topic: Differential  (Read 18613 times)

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: Differential
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:59 am »
OT. I see they had a 3.90 carrier complete listed. That is what I have for a spare out of a 1952 DeSoto. Didn't see it listed but they may have the heavy outer seal. I was lucky enough to get National 5797. If you look back Averyman found a heavy seal that he had to make some alteration to use.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 08:11:46 pm »

Marc... would you know if there is there anyone up around your way that might have a set of spider gears & the case for sale for the woody. I think it's called a "loaded case".

OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 06:25:22 am »
hey  im going to shawinigan on monday there will be a good gang of snows there i will check it out for u get back to you on friday or saturday

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 09:30:43 am »

Thanks Marc. I can get it bought down easily enough if it's not too far off the 20...    OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 04:15:46 pm »

Thanks Chopperguy for the update you sent to me. I will follow up on it tomorrow first thing.

One fingers crossed old trucker.....

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 09:25:39 am »
If it is just the carrier that you need you can use one from an early 50's model Dodge or Plymouth car. Pickups too I think. Apparently the correct ratio is 4.11 to 1. I just found one that is 3.9 to 1 and I plan to use it. Later models had a finer axle spline pattern that was not compatable with the narrow guage axles. You have to pull the axles back to get the carrier out so you can tell right away if it is the right one. The ratio is usually stamped on the outer edge of the pinion gear. All above info is from Ted our local bombardier pro. For those of you with early wide guages you could use the auto axles or likely the whole assembly. Since you'd be installing it upside down you'd have to weld the vent hole up and tap in a new one on the other side.

Cranman if the correct ratio is 4.11, which is in the woody, & the correct ratio is 4.89 which is in the narrow metal, can I switch the whole insides of the case from one to another ?? I guess the axle spline has to be the same & I will have to reuse my own axles. 

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 10:45:44 am »
I never heard of a 4.89 in an early dodge ?? that would be compatable with your axles. My 3.9 spare out of a 52 Desoto has the course spline. If you are talking about the 4.89 Dana in the later model metals, I don't think the axles would work. I think it is a totally different set up. Going from 4.1 to 3.9 for me will be ok and may even be better for gas mileage. Won't make much difference either way I suppose. At my age a little howling doesn't matter much, getting deaf so I may never have to use my spare but if I don't keep it in the shed , sure as hell I'll need it.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

Cranman I have to look at an old 50-51 Fargo pickup when the snow goes here. There may be a diff in it. Can you tell me if the rear end in a 1949 Dodge power wagon would have the setup I'm looking for ?

OT.

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 06:08:14 pm »
hey ot it might be same set up not sure if 411 check on vintage powwer wagons lots of info there.also go dodge city site he is in southern ontaroi lots ofparts may have a diff for u  the 4.89 is in 1 ton diff the same as in my bombardier td trucks  hope this can be of some help .any pictures of that snow of urs

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:06 am »
    Thanks for the advise Marc. I will check it out. I was talking to a machine shop this morning & they say I can get a diff from a GM truck & have it narrowed for a reasonable price ( similur to Swamp Dawgs ) If I went this way I shouldn't have much trouble finding parts if need be. Marc all my pics are on here in the wooden bombardier section. I'm talking about a diff like the one on top in the top pic. It is a Dana 44 & came from a narrow gauge metal. It is 4" too wide. He says it is pretty straight forward. I'm thinking when he cuts the outer end off the axle he could weld back a piece of 3/8- 7/16" plate drilled out to accept my sprockets. Sound about right ????????????

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT1001.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0998.jpg                                                                         
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:50:10 am by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:13 am »

Cranman here are a couple of pics of a diff that is supposed to belong to a 59 Dodge. It's three & a half hrs. east of me so I'll have to get a someone to size it up before I go there.
    Let know what you think. It looks close to mine. If it's the same spline & bolt pattern... it should be good. Do you know what the ratio would be in a 1959 ??

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/59DodgeDiff005.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/59DodgeDiff001.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/59DodgeDiff003-1.jpg

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 07:25:58 am »
Well it looks a bit like it but I never seen one with those bolt holes tapped in at the spline end. They might be ok for a brake mount. I suppose you'll have to get someone to pull the axles and send a pic of the spline. If it is after 1953 or so it likely has the finer axle spline and therefor of no use to you. AS to the ratio it is hard to say, you'd have to turn and count or take it out and look at the stamp.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 07:33:52 am »
The diff I just removed has the same tapped holes.  It has a 30 count splined axle.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »

I have another question for someone to answer. I was told today that he has a couple of aluminum sprockets taken of a metal bomber.
   I can only imagine that owner lost his diff & installed a woody diff & sprockets. If I am right I may have parts for my diff. Is there any way that the diff from a woody will fit on a metal bomber & have the sprockets line up with the wheels ??

OT ??? ???

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:08 am »

I'm looking for the # of the seal that the hub fits into. The pic below shows what I am talking about. We are having trouble matching one up.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT1004.jpg