Performance Forums > Drivetrain

Differential

(1/7) > >>

snowbug77:
I have a narrow guage metal bombardier that needs a new differential assemble. What type of automotive differential is the most adaptable for this application?

Cranman:
There are no automotive differential assemblies that fit the narrow guage. Is it just the carrier you need or is the whole assembly unuseable ? There likely are some available if you put the call out on this forum.

Cranman:
If it is just the carrier that you need you can use one from an early 50's model Dodge or Plymouth car. Pickups too I think. Apparently the correct ratio is 4.11 to 1. I just found one that is 3.9 to 1 and I plan to use it. Later models had a finer axle spline pattern that was not compatable with the narrow guage axles. You have to pull the axles back to get the carrier out so you can tell right away if it is the right one. The ratio is usually stamped on the outer edge of the pinion gear. All above info is from Ted our local bombardier pro. For those of you with early wide guages you could use the auto axles or likely the whole assembly. Since you'd be installing it upside down you'd have to weld the vent hole up and tap in a new one on the other side.

Skenman:
I phoned Dan Shaver and he made a ford 9" to fit, for my wide gauge.
Just had to get a new driveshaft made ($400 )

Swamp Dawg:
In our 52 Narrow Gauge somebody has put in a GM 14-bolt rear end.  Super beefy with 3/8 thick axle tubes, Full floating axles, 1-ton strength.  Definatly will not be able to break it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version