Author Topic: 48bomber  (Read 21437 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: 48bomber
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »

Andy do you have any plans on doing any work on her or use her like she is ??
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »
Old Trucker,
  Thanks for posting my pics ,as well as the forum help!
  I am going to enjoy this winter with the b12 as is. The mechanical parts of the machine were rebuilt approx 1998 , and are in excelent condition from what I can tell. The wood was also redone then ,and needs some attention. I am a cabinet maker by trade ,and the plan will be to redo it in the spring.
  I will make as close to original from the information that you all are sharing on the forum. I will be changing the interior stain colour ,and wood framing to some cherry I have been saving.
   The purchase from some fine people in Creton Sask was a pleasure .They have a passion for the bomers ,and its obvious from the pictures they sent with the machine.
   48bomer

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:13:17 pm »
Hey All,
  Today I took off the front wheels and installed the skis back on. Then we went around the yard in the fresh snow from Wed. This is going to be alot of fun this winter out on the trails!!!!
   48bomber

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:21 am »
Did you have any luck yet getting 1/4" birch plywood?

Oldsledz

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »
Oldtrucker,
   One of my main suppliers for the shop has the g2s  (good 2 sides) birch ply .I have asked to find out use for outside ,as well if it is rotary cut , or flat sliced. He has not got back to me yet on this. When I find out I will post it.
   48bomber

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 07:28:05 pm »
   I think you were talking to Oldsledz on this matter.                          OT.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:30:48 pm by the old trucker »

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 09:27:09 pm »
Hey all,
  Is there a place to get the heat, oil, temp, charge gauge?  My bomber has modern ones installed. You can see what it looks like in my pics of the interior. When I redo the dash I would like to have the proper one.
  48bomber
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:34:41 pm by 48bomber »

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:38:20 pm »
Sorry OT for the incorect post name!  I am still learning tis ting !  I am much better with wood and tools!
  48bomber

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:55 am »
I think the 48 has gauges from a 38 or 39 Ford.  You may look at some websites that cater to these vehicles.  Beware of the sending unit fot the temp gauge.  It was hard to find.  I had all my gauges sent to a fellow in N. Carolina and had them re-built.  (D + M  Restoration).  Look under the Varnished machine in the Narrow Ga. topic and it will show a pic of them just after they were re-built.   Good luck.

Oldledz

P.S.  I don't think there is an exterior grade to the 1/4" birch plywood.  I made sure of coating all sides and edges many times before assembly.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:26:32 am »
Insert Quote
Sorry OT for the incorrect post name!  I am still learning this thing !  I am much better with wood and tools!
  48bomber

That's OK, as long as you share your woodworking skills with me!!

I have asked to find out use for outside ,as well if it is rotary cut , or flat sliced. He has not got back to me yet on this. When I find out I will post it.
   48bomber

Would I be right in saying if the plywood was rotary cut, that you will have a better looking grain pattern?? 48 bomber, I am far from a carpenter, but I have an interest in it.

A dusty ol' trucker

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 06:36:41 am »
The 1/4" A2 birch plywood that I got was rotary cut.  It seems to look the same as the old orignal plywood that I removed. 

Oldsledz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 09:07:34 am »

Would flat sliced wood give you the book match effect??

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:31:47 am »
Hey,
  Ot is correct ,as most pics of the machines look like rotary cut. The grain is irregular pattern as the log is peeled as it turns , giving a repeating pattern but usually a uneven grain pattern. Flat sliced , repeats as well but is sliced off the side of the log ,then joined to match. This gives a board look without the uneven grain as with rotary. I want flat sawn if possible.
48bomber

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:35:26 am »
Hey,
  On the 6th picture down of the door on mine shows oak that is flat sliced , but a poor grade as the almost knot giving poor grain.  This will be gone next year !
  48bomber