Author Topic: ORIN'S 50 REBUILD !!!!  (Read 29146 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: ORIN'S 50 REBUILD !!!!
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 11:04:05 am »
Got small brass bushing from princess auto, going to try one down there, but if it does not work good going to have to find a bearing.

Orin did you try that brass bushing yet ?? Will you have to get the tapered shaft on the column built up to accept the bushing ??
                                                                        OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »
Talked to Ted the other day and he says the bearing is a Torrington needle carriage bearing but he didn't know the number. There are still suppliers out there if you can get a good measurement.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 03:13:55 pm »

How is it measured ?? It looks like a short piece of schedule 80 pipe with about a 1.25" inside diameter. I have to cut & replace the piece just above it where the gear sticks out through. At the bottom of that short pipe there appears to be some sort of thick insulating material. I think it's for the horn wire.
  Inside my steering column there's a 1/2" pipe that the steering wheel & the gear is made onto with a brass rod going through the center that had the horn wire soldered to.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 05:31:17 pm »
  Orin I think you will find the bearings that the boys are talking about on the site below.

Torrington Needle Roller Bearings offered by Dalton Bearing ... Torrington Needle Roller Bearings supplied by Dalton Bearing Service, a worldwide distributor of Torrington Needle Roller Bearings.
www.daltonbearing.com/Torrington/Torrington-Needle-Roller-Bearings.asp

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:59 pm »
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/Orinstransmissionwithinstructions.jpg

Orin can you check to see if this lines up with the bolts.

OT. 

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, been away fishing. The brass bushing seems like it will work alright. Will try to take some measurements for you in the morning O.T.   The thing is, if i'm off a little, it's going to screw you up alot because the 300 fits so tight.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/Orinstransmissionwithinstructions.jpg
it lines up perfect with these bolts O.T. Mine is actually about an inch ahead of them, but if you put your even, you won't have to move your firewall ahead like I did.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 04:38:35 am »

Thanks Orin!! That makes everything a lot easier. I still have the stump of the angle iron on the frame. Can you tell me if the metal used on the sides of the motor is welded or bolted to this angle iron??
   I appreciate this info!!  ;D

OT.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 11:17:40 am »
Its bolted, the same bolt goes threw the angle iron then the plywood and then the steel. The steel is just welded along the bottom to the frame.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 05:39:28 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, been away fishing. The brass bushing seems like it will work alright. Will try to take some measurements for you in the morning O.T.  The thing is, if i'm off a little, it's going to screw you up alot because the 300 fits so tight.

Orin I don't think that will hurt me for now. I can put the 3" channel in place & let the motor mount legs sit in place on top of it for now, allowing me to fine tune everything before bolting it in.

OT.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:02 am »
Hey Orin, hows the machine coming along? I suppose you have been busy commercial fishing over the past few month's and put off the rebuilding. I got most of all the body work done last month (OT was offering me a kick in the rear as part of his Newfoundland incentive package so I figured I better get going befor he passes me on his machine).

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:24 am »
Yeah been fishing all winter. Have to get back at it soon. No plywood around here though, have to go to Wpg or Yorkton Sask. for that.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 03:32:26 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean about no plywood around (but you have to expect that when you live in a big city like you do). Same here, everything comes to a halt over the stupidest little thing that you need and it can hold you up until you head out and get it. I got most of the woodwork done on my machine now, and of course, just in time for summer. Now I need a foot of snow in April or May to take her for a ride. Claude was making me nervous at the rate they were going on his out there in Newfoundland so I tried to finish her up there last month.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2010, 07:29:00 am »
  Someone has to get you going & spend some of your money!!! ha ha ha.....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:16:50 am by the old trucker »

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2010, 12:06:59 am »
Well started on the bomber again. Have the plywood screwed on and started painting. This is where i'm at now.http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/186.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/185.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/188.jpgBack at it in the morning.