Author Topic: Varnish ? Or Paint?  (Read 4685 times)

48bomber

Varnish ? Or Paint?
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:33:37 pm »
Hey All!
 I am new to this and full of questions. I know I am a little off on the seasons , but snow is never far from mind! Were the wood bodied machines painted , or varnished when made new? Some of the pics on the  net show both ways . The pinstripe on some,is that corect?
Cheers,
 48 bomber

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Re: Varnish ? Or Paint?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:52:18 am »
48 Bomber.. I have a '51 machine and it is varnished with dark red pinstriping. It has never been refinished and although it could use a  coat of varnish I am reluctant to mess with the origional finish.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:35:47 am »
48 Bomber.

One way to tell what color your b12 is, is by looking at your steering column.  Charles Bouchard of Quebec tells me that the columns are tan as on the "woody" models.  If it is burgandy or blue,  it would the outside color as well.  Another way to confirm is to call the Bombardier museum in Valcourt, Quebec,  gvie them your infomation off the brass tag and they can tell you the original color it was from the factory. If you have ever seen a varnished one,  they are beautiful,  looks like a piece of fine furniture.  Look under the narrow gauge section of the forum.  Old trucker has posted photos of my machine and you notice that the column is tan.  Good luck!

Oldsledz

48bomber

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:07:59 pm »
to oldsleds,
  Thanks for the reply!
  If its a tan colum it would be varnished? I have not taken delivery of my woodie , but the pics look tan.
 Anyone coming from Sask to ont with some extra room for a bomber?
  Cheers

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:24:43 am »

48bomber, any chance of seeing the pics you have of your new bomber ?
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:16 am »
48 BOMBER

Sounds like it is a varnished unit.  To be absolute,  call the Museum in Valcourt to confirm.  Ask for Guy Pepin,  he is the curator. Just make sure you have the information on the brass tag which is located in the engine bay on the back side of the rear passenger backrest.

Frank

48bomber

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:31 pm »
Hi all,
  Went through the instructions for pic posting and i will send some when the machine arives in the fall(can't wait!)Also my son will start a web site of our adventures with the bomber, he is 13 and can get upset with my computer skills , and how slow I am!
 The machine is on nothern tracks web site , follow equip for sale , then go to bombardier ,the wood one listed at the top of the page is the one I bought from mike in Creighton Sask. Its listed as for sale, but you are too late as a deal is done!
  Have a look and tell me what you think.

Being new to the site ,I have found it hard to find pictures easily. Could there be a area for just pics with a small discription and owners list?
 Also my son sugested a way to youtube bomber video?
  All I need is spell check!
   Bomber 48

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:03:34 am »

48bomber, it looks like a half decent machine. It was re skinned outside at some time. You can tell by the 4 windows instead of 5. All the wood strips added to her certainly make her different looking. I'm sure that a man with your skills will make her look like she did back 51 years ago !! Good luck.

Oh, by the way, when & how are you planning to get her bought down to Ontario ?? I am looking to get a few rims sent down. Send me an email if you like & we'll talk about it. 

Thanks     OT.

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.