Author Topic: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??  (Read 81022 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »

Anyone know where I can buy a new pinion seal for my differential ?? My local supplier can't find one. The National Seal # is 451350.

The Old Trucker
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Muskeg Runer

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »
I checked with my supplier and he said they were discontinued but they would make a batch with a minimum order of 250. Your next option is to take a set of calipers and measure the out side size on the diff and the size of the yoke and match one up that way.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2011, 05:27:48 pm »
I checked with my supplier and he said they were discontinued but they would make a batch with a minimum order of 250. Your next option is to take a set of calipers and measure the out side size on the diff and the size of the yoke and match one up that way.

Got that done already my friend. I got the same answer, But this ol' feller already has one up on them. I found a bunch of them in the Toronto area @ $48 bucks, plus Mr. Harper's share. This fellow said they are same as originals. Late 40's to early 50's Dodge cars & pickups.
  He sells them to people with bombers in Quebec, Ontario & Manitoba. Then 3 hrs. ago I got another call from Denver, Co. This fellow has them for $40 bucks plus shipping.
  I was told that the salesmen nowadays use the newer books. This fellow went back to the old school & BINGO... there it is. 
   National # is 451350. He crossed it to an older number, 5851, & gave me these dimensions. 3.130  OD  1.750  ID    500  width. It was the same as my national #. I will order it tomorrow. I hope everything works out OK.  I may be slow.. but I'm trying....

The Old Trucker

Offline lakerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2011, 11:36:20 am »
  ... if I get her done...
                                                      OT.

What!  I sense new energy in your last posts though. Hell - you almost done. ;D

Dave in Sask.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2011, 03:08:40 pm »

I wish.... I wish. I am trying to do what I can by myself. I know I can't do it all, but I'm just doing what I can when the old ticker allows it.....and the pocket book allows. I have to go in town for another checkup in a couple of weeks, so I think I'll see if they can advance the timing on my defibrillator a little to give me more git up & go.
  We're still gathering up parts while they are still FREE. My newer diff & aluminum sprockets came from RETMECH, while I think I have new sliding windows coming soon.

OT.... still alive "n" kicking

Offline lakerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »
 The play by play of your build has been an interesting read and I hope you see it through to its completion. What a day that first drive will be. I wish all the best to you OT.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »
How are you doing with your bomber OT?

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2013, 05:23:01 am »
How are you doing with your bomber OT?
Pics would be nice :)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2013, 07:07:29 am »

Orin, Walrus & the rest of the members, thanks for asking about me. I haven't done very much at all with my bomber for a long time now. I think I have fallen ill to the couch potato syndrome. I had a fellow geared up to do my diff for me but after months of waiting I gave up on him. I now have it at another fellow's place. I called him last night & he has it pretty well done as he had other jobs that have priority over mine.
   I don't be out in the shed in the cold months cause the "BOSS" complains about the extra costs ($200.) on the light bill every month. I'm hoping to be back at it this summer. I was out of town for the last few days getting another check up. While there I bought a set of gauges & ignition & ignition switch so I can wire the engine with the help from Remtech. I am thinking about useing a Dodge power wagon rad as it is a bit shorter & the rad man says I can make it more efficent by adding an extra core to it, 4 versus 3...
    Walrus, as for pics, what I have are posted in my rebuild. I am still kicking. Doc says I'm too contrary to die yet.  Ha Ha !!!

This ol' fart's here for awhile yet !!!!                             

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »

Orin, Walrus & the rest of the members, thanks for asking about me. I haven't done very much at all with my bomber for a long time now. I think I have fallen ill to the couch potato syndrome. I had a fellow geared up to do my diff for me but after months of waiting I gave up on him. I now have it at another fellow's place. I called him last night & he has it pretty well done as he had other jobs that have priority over mine.
   I don't be out in the shed in the cold months cause the "BOSS" complains about the extra costs ($200.) on the light bill every month. I'm hoping to be back at it this summer. I was out of town for the last few days getting another check up. While there I bought a set of gauges & ignition & ignition switch so I can wire the engine with the help from Remtech. I am thinking about useing a Dodge power wagon rad as it is a bit shorter & the rad man says I can make it more efficent by adding an extra core to it, 4 versus 3...
    Walrus, as for pics, what I have are posted in my rebuild. I am still kicking. Doc says I'm too contrary to die yet.  Ha Ha !!!

This ol' fart's here for awhile yet !!!!                             
No big deal, sometimes its hard to motivate especially in the winter. I work outside alot so I won't freeze my butt off to work on a toy. I have many toys that never seem to get finished. I gear up and go wild and then something else takes my time and off to the back burner she goes. I have a 67 Mustang thats been worked on and then stored, worked on and then stored, etc etc. I've had it nearly 20 years and it still isn't done :D. Got it running the other day though, going to fix the brakes, register it, inspect it and smoke the tires this summer ;D. Its pretty ratty but mechanically its pretty decent(other than the brakes, sitting for years did that)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »

Well I finally got my diff done with new bearings & seals. Got it all painted up & will install it. Been a long time but slowly getting back at it.  I'm getting a great help from member "Retmech".. He has a wiring harness for my engine & is getting it ready so I can install it myself.... hopefuly..

OT.... at it again.....

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:42 pm »
Awesome, we need pics or it didn't get done :D

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
Hey OT,  How's the bomber coming? You gonna burn some fuel this winter?
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2013, 06:34:28 am »

Dave it's slow, very slow ! I have a diff ready to install, rad, need to get a drive shaft made, Retmech wired up a temporary dash for me so I can start the engine once in awhile to keep everything oiled up. I have a back load of grousers waiting to be cleaned up.
 There's a big roll of belting out by the side of my shed waiting to be cut into track belting for myself & Mike. There is an old woody in the woods that I want a couple parts from. There is lots of things I could be doing but first I have to get rid of the Couch Potato Syndrome. It's hard to shake clear.
   I have been talking to a fellow that lives up north from me that is building a R12 from a J5. I have seen it & it looks alright. Something like Dan Shavers, in size. I am gearing up a trip for up that way soon & will take my camera with me. Dave you got a spare # 12 steel nose boot around ? I think I can use it !!!

OT's still around, just " A SLACKING "