Author Topic: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??  (Read 80990 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 04:18:45 am »
     OT'S UPDATE !!!! 

To update everyone I have bought a 1984 f 150 pickup with the 300 in it. Original owner bought it new & had her for 20 yrs. before he passed on. A friend told me it was parked in his garage every night. I guess she started going down hill after that. Speedometer shows 65,000 km. My friend drove her home ( 39 miles) with me bringing up the rear. There was no smoke at all. He said she had lots of power going up the hills. He even tramped her down a couple of times & took off like a scaled cat. Starts first turn of the key & idles good too. I want to tune her up before taking it out to see how she is. I was talking to Retmech & here's what he says.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello claude   you didn't mention in the first message that the wiper motor was lucas.but i thought that it looked like it.i have been dealing with british built cars for many years and i have a 1969 british built landrover that i believe has the same motor.it is out to my sons house in glovertown right now.as you were saying the truck looks in pretty good shape for the year.with so few kilos,it should be a good motor.the 4.9 engine is 299.016 cubic inch which is a 300.the baked on dirt could be very difficult to remove.i dont know of any simple way.sometimes a steam cleaner can do it.but i have had to use a thin blade narrow scraper sometimes and lots of time.usually it is taken off by hot dipping.the only other way that i know of is when you get the engine out you may be able to use 4 1/2 inch mini grinder with a rotary wire brush put on in place of the grinding wheel.you can get those at most auto stores.as for the plugs,if they are rusted in penetrating oil may not work but it wouldn't hurt to try it. sometimes i have taken them out with an impact gun with the air turned down on the gun so that it wouldn't hit too hard,where by pulling a steady strain with a ratchet might break it.there is no guarantee that they wont break.if any do you should be able to get the piece out with an acetelene torch and an easy out.but it is better to do it now than when you get the engine in the bomber.  sterling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: stanford1943@hotmail.com
Subject: clean engine pics
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:36:11 -0200

HELP !!!!     

I need help again !! I'm sending a few pics of the engine with some dirt off it. What is good to take off the heavy baked on stuff like around the base pan & trans. I don't want to get in too big a mess when I pull out the motor & trans.
   I tried to remove one of the plugs but it don't want to come out. I didn't want to put too much pressure on it, scared I may break it off. my friend Kevin said to spray some penetrating oil around each plug, which I did. Tomorrow he said to get the engine hot, then try & take them out. Open to suggestions.
  The tag in the last pic says plug # BSF 42. It says the engine size is 4.9L.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0156.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0166.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0162.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0161.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0160.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0159.jpg

This is the oil pressure gauge. It shows between 30 -35 psi.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0163.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0158.jpg

I have cleaned alot of dirt off with Spray 9 & the garden hose. I'm looking to get the old crud off so I can paint er' up. Ot's got a 130 amp altenator that he had for a spare. Think it's over kill if I put it on.  ??

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 06:23:25 pm »

Dawg or Gror, do you remember what the color of the paint is on your motor. On mine the top pan is a gray color. I guess it is a ford blue on yours.

OT.   

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 07:20:30 pm »
Mine is called Old Ford Blue and I got it at Napa . About the spark plugs, try a penetrating oil called Kroil it is amazing. Spray it on and leave it for a night, they will probably come out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:23:15 pm by gror »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 02:27:22 am »

Thanks Gror. I sprayed some penetrating oil called KP 53 I think. You'll see the blue can in some of the pics. Retmech told me to do the same thing.  Below is a section of his email to me.
   as for the plugs,if they are rusted in penetrating oil may not work but it wouldn't hurt to try it. sometimes i have taken them out with an impact gun with the air turned down on the gun so that it wouldn't hit too hard,where by pulling a steady strain with a ratchet might break it.there is no guarantee that they wont break.if any do you should be able to get the piece out with an acetylene torch and an easy out.but it is better to do it now than when you get the engine in the bomber.  sterling   
   I used the gun & it worked perfectly. The old plugs looked good. I tightened up the bottom section of the carb as it was loose. Today I will pick up a new dist. cap, rotor button, plugs & wires, new oil & filter & give her a tune up. Gror I am picking up a short oil filter. Do you think I will have enough room for it in my bomber without having to use that oil bypass piece ?? Things are looking up !!

The Old Trucker, happy as a pig in mud !!!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »

Would anyone know the number for the rotor button for a 1984 F 150 Ford pickup with the module  mounted on the fender, not on the distributor. Mine is the red one on the right. The left one is for the module on the distributor.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0181.jpg

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »
I never had room in mine for even a short oil filter.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 03:51:09 am »

Did you use the adapter like Swamp Dawg did ?? If so, where did you get it to ?? How much ?? Part #'s ?? Was told by my "buddy mechanic " the motor should be out by day's end if the weather holds up.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 04:13:18 am »

the old trucker

Re: Gror's rebuild
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 09:29:03 AM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Hey boys is that all is up around your way is rusty old fords ?
What about a 292 chevy ? Thanks Gror for the pics. There great!!!
Keep taking a scattered pic once in awhile. Don't wait till the end.
  My ol' ticker may not be able to take the pressure of waiting. 

That's a quote from Gror's rebuild that I put there. Guess I have to eat my words if I put this engine in my bomber.  HA HA HA  !!!!  ;D :o ::)

OT.   :-[

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:24 am »

Gror or Swamp Dawg, is the dist. vacuum line on your distributor in the same place as on mine ?? There is a long oil filter on mine now. If you say I don't have the space for a short filter, it looks like I'd have to change the position of the dist. 
   I have another motor mount bolt & a couple more on the trans & out she comes, if the rain ever stops !!

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0185.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0182.jpg

Did you say that the green wire goes with that blue one with the yellow stripe ?? Or is the brown supposed to go with the ahhh............  purple....or black ?? I don't remember. We worked a little backwards with the wiring because we never had any schematics to go by. It was a bit of snip, start, stop, snip & start again for awhile but we got er' done !! Now when we put her on the ground all we have to do is hook up 2 ground & a hot wire to a battery & turn the key.

Any ideas on a good engine cleaner ??  Well gotta go my mechanic is out waiting. Looks like the rain is finally starting to cooperate.

The Old Trucker

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2009, 09:48:00 am »
My oil bypass system was built by a machinest at work for me but you can buy them out of Jeggs. I put a different distrutor in mine "old school points and condensor".

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 04:38:41 pm »
   Can anyone tell me the dimensions of how big a radiator I can put in my bomber ?? Maybe my local rad shop can custom build one if they had a few measurements.

OT.'s trying to cool er' down.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 05:48:23 am »

I am starting to pick away at my engine, while waiting to get the belly pan welded in place. I have the manifold off to allow more access to clean the motor. I also got the carb in soak trying to get the dark black gas stains off. My questions are;
   # 1   Is it any good to put a high heat primer on before painting the engine ?
   # 2   What about the manifold ?
   # 3   Swamp Dawg I noticed you didn't paint your manifold. Any particular reason ?? 
   # 4   Will I need a brush to get at hard to reach places ??
   # 5   Oldsledz, Gror, Dawg, what paint did you use on yours ??
  Any comments on how to do this ?? I think I will paint her OLD FORD BLUE . Canadian Tire has it in stock in spray bombs.
  Or should I get a quart of paint mixed & sprayed on ??

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:08 pm »
Thats hoe I did it ,with spray bombs,Old ford Blue It turned out awesome, and I didnt use any primer.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 06:07:54 am »

Thanks Gror. When I'm ready I'll get a half dozen cans. By the way did you put anything on your manifold ?? People are telling me it will only burn off. What about high heat paint for stoves ??

OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 02:59:29 pm »

Gror did you make your engine mounts the same way Swamp Dawg did his ?? It looks like he used the stock mount & added to it. Am I right ?? I started cleaning up the exhaust today, getting ready to paint. What did you use on your manifold & is it staying on ??   

OT.