Author Topic: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??  (Read 80983 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »

I got a email from Guy Pepin at the bombardier museum today. He answered my question about who sold the machines down here, & how many also. I could only account for 4-5 of them. I'm still trying to find the original engine that was in mine, so I can find more info about it.   

Sent: May 25, 2010 3:32:21 PM
To:  claude stratton (popsshed@hotmail.com)

Mr. Stratton,

We have 73 B12 in our register sold by « Newfoundland Distributors Ltd, Corner Brook » from 1947 to 1951.

Sincerely,
Guy Pépin
Conservateur-restaurateur / Conservator-Restorer

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2010, 02:58:46 pm »

Does anyone know the length of the short piece of pipe used for a spacer that lines up the three front wheels with the rear axle ?? I think Oldsledz put it on here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I had two on mine & they were only 1 3/16".
                                                                    OT.   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2010, 06:28:30 pm »
  Here's a pic of my new bushings that I had made from uhmw polyethylene. That stuff is supposed to wear better than steel, & they say it's self lubricating, but I will put low temp grease in there also. First he cut them a little oversize & pressed them in place. Then he drilled them out to fit on the body axles.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0666.jpg

I have a question about installing the wheel & bearings on a B12. Here's a pic of how I think it should go on. I want to know if this is the right way. I have new bearings & seals ordered. I need to know what the length of # 10 is, as the 3 I have are different lengths.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0661.jpg  

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:35:40 am by the old trucker »

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:13 pm »
O.T.

Can't seem to remember a given length on those but the ones that were really short would not allow you to tighten up the wheel bearing to proper specs.  You would run out of threads on the spindle.  I had some on mine that had other washers in there to try to keep the wheel bearings tight. I took the ones that were ok and had others made at the machine shop and they worked fine.  I guess I would try the longest one and if you can get the wheel bearing to tighten up,  use that one as the template for the others.  I think the reason they are too short is because the wheel bearing ran loose and made them spin.

Oldsledz 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »

Thanks Oldsledz.  I will try what you said on one wheel & if it doesn't go tight I'll make one a little longer.  I think they also help in lining up the front three wheels with the rear wheel. The post office thinks I should get those patterns this week.
                                                                                 Thanks again...OT. 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2010, 07:08:46 pm »
  I like to apologize to the members for not making any progress in the last few months. I feel like I don't have much energy to get a start at anything. The doc said to sit back & rest what's left of the ol' ticker for awhile. Hopefully we'll get back at it soon. For now I will be a commentator for the boys progress down here.  

One laid back old trucker.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2010, 08:03:24 am »
All in time.  I have so many projects (3 cars, 1 truck and 25 snomobiles) that sometimes I just walk away from them.  When you are ready and able,  the machine will be waiting for you.--Keep the pace.
Hope things are better.
Oldseldz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:51 am »

Thanks Oldsledz... A good swift kick is all I need to get er' going again..    OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2010, 09:57:59 am »

Yes Virginia... There is a Santa Claus !     

Remember Kris Kringle saying that in the movie " Miracle on 54th Street " I've watched it a few times & now it's time for the saying to change. It should now say.....   Yes OT...There is a Santa Claus !!   

I took the Boss out to do a bit of last minute shopping yesterday & checked the mail in route. Low & behold she came back with the mail & a fairly large box under her arm. I said it must be a late Xmas present from one of the family. She said no it's for you.
   When I looked at the shipping address, my head started to swell up & a big smile came accross my face. I knew then what was inside. But who in the world would send this to me. I had to open it before going. First thing I saw was a note  saying "Merry Christmas and All the best in the New Year & singed by Santa" Then I saw the Northern Manitoba Bombardier Rally cap with the yellow bomber on it & 2 sweat shirts with the same logo on them.
   Well.....I think my head was swollen that much I thought I wasn't going to get the cap to fit. That definitely made my day. Like a kid in a candy store. After all day thinking about our new presents I think I have it narrowed dawn to the culprit that sent them.
   There is 1 of 3 possible people responsible for this & 2 have a "yellow bomber" same as on the logo. I would like thank you very much for the thoughtful gift you have sent & I will cherish this for a long time to come.

One now very Extra Large Old Trucker

PS. I would like to mention that none of this would have been possible if it wasn't for Mr. Cameron McLean & his story in the woodworking magazine.  Thanks Cam... God Bless You my friend...

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:31 pm »
  I have a question about installing the wheel & bearings on a B12. Here's a pic of how I think it should go on. I want to know if this is the right way. I have new bearings & seals ordered. I need to know what the length of # 10 is, as the 3 I have are different lengths.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0661.jpg  
[/quote]

I have a small problem. I put on the four wheels on one side today & noticed that the front three are not in line with the rear one. In the pic, # 10, there were only 3 of them & 3 #11 when I got the frame. I had 6 new # 10's made @ 1 1/2" long, but it appears to be too short. Does anyone know what or how to measure for the right ones ? It's costly getting them made.
  Oldsledz did you said you had to get shims for yours ?

Thanks from OT.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2011, 06:23:01 pm »
OT, I don't think that you have to be all bang on.  I would say +- 3/16" would be close enough.  Your sprocket would really determine how far from the frame the wheels would sit.  The wheels might even be different spacing from the left side to the right.  I don't see a problem in adding more of the machine washers #11 to shim to center each wheel in line with the sprocket.  I think that it will be a trial and error for you.  Install a wheel and measure the center of tire to the frame and remove wheel again to add or subtract shim washers and reinstall the wheel. On mine there was one spindle that I had to install the castle nut on backwards as I didn't have enough thread to put the nut on and install the cotter pin after the wheel was shimmed out.  I don't recommend doing that though, but it is one of the middle wheels  so no real harm if it fell off.  I'll probably fix it next summer when I install some performance parts in the engine.  I'm glad your doing a bit more on the bomber = more pictures to share with us.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2011, 11:54:43 am »

Thanks Dave. I have noticed that when cleaning up & painting my rims that some are 3 1/2" wide & some are 4" wide, as I have bomber rims & old J5 rims that fit. I still have to mount the diff in place yet. I noticed that when I put the castle nut on some axles it goes in too far for the cotter pin to work. It looks like they were not particular about drilling these holes. I was told I could drill new holes. I'll see about getting a couple of pics to show what I mean.

OT. 

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
You could also shim the nut out with some washers to make the nut reach the hole.  You just have to watch that the hub cap ,when screwed on, does not rub on the spindle or nut.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2011, 10:03:52 pm »
Just looking at your line up of parts wheel bearing/axle parts OT. I don't recognize the outer thrust washer #3 that goes between the bearing and the nut. Most of the ones I've seen are a narrow washer and the originals had a tang on the inside to mate up with the keyway in the axle, so they don't turn. I don't think that part is all that important as the whole shebang is running in grease anyway. I've come across ordinary washers used there but they gouged two or three places on the outer edge so the grease from the hubcap can get back inside to feed the inner bearing. You don't want the hub cap coming in tight to the washer and stop the grease.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:37 pm »
 Thanks Cranman. That #3 is one that Dan Shaver sent to me. It isn't very thick. I thought he said most people screw the nut to the back of the bearing. My spindles have the key way cut into them. I would feel more comfortable with the proper washer there. Do you know how long # 10 should be ??
  Cranman on another note I want to know what you think about putting in the heavy duty diff in (4.86 gears) versus the light duty one that I have with (4.11 gears). I am dropping off my diff tomorrow to have it checked out. I have a heavy duty & a light duty one out back for spares.
  I think the 4.86 ratio will burn alot more gas than the 4.11 ratio. I got a new contact for a fellow in Quebec that is supposed to alot of parts... plus 25 bombers. I hope to get started on this rebuild again soon.
                                                                     A slack OT.