Author Topic: Varnished Machine--  (Read 63322 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Varnished Machine--
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:54 am »

Oldsledz in the second pic it looks like you put in new bushings. Were they bought or made up? And in the third pic did you use the old parts that go under the skis??

OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2009, 08:47:51 am »
Put in bronze bushings on the middle pivot for the front suspension.  Got new wood runners and new steel runners from Allain Benoit in Valcourt,  Quebec.  He will make them up. 

Oldsledz

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2009, 08:48:58 pm »
oldsleds,
  Where is the contact for the guy that makes up the runners? I would like a spare set for this winter?
  How can I tell if the ski is original length to fit the runner?
 48bomber.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2009, 07:28:02 pm »

Oldsledz can you tell me the supplier for the mirrors on your doors. They look like a stock item.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »
48 Bomber.

I have mis-placed Allain's number for the ski runners.  I will try to get it for you.  Mine went on ok,  had to warm it with a torch.

O.T.    I got the little mirrors from LMC truck.  They are clip on type so no holes are drilled.  I had to die grind the back of the mirror to get more angle adjustment so I could see down the side of the machine.  I wanted some type of mirror,  but not a big one.  This should work well--can see other sleds coming up behind and will be able to back into the  trailer.  LMC has a web site  just "google" it.

Oldsledz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2009, 04:20:01 pm »
  ANOTHER UPDATE FROM OLDSLEDZ

O.T. Today's photos of the pinstripe going on as we speak. Should be done later today. Oldsledz

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12368.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12369.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12370.jpg

Another shot of the rear door getting ready for striping. That is a pic of Charles Bouchard's machine taped to the door. Oldsledz

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12371.jpg
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:24:43 pm by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2009, 05:31:10 pm »

Guess she'll soon be ready to break out the champane??  OT.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2009, 06:38:18 pm »
I am hoping for an inaugural ride Chistmas Eve.   Going to finish up the the tracks Monday afternoon.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2009, 04:28:44 pm »

Oldsledz I assume those stripes are being painted on & not stuck on. Any special kind of paint you are using?? Do you have to put a sealer on top of it?
                                                                                                                          OT.

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2009, 12:46:05 am »
Oldsledz,
   Congratulations on completing your machine!  The pinstripe , hand done is perfect and shows the detail you have done on the whole project.  Enjoy your first ride!  I had mine out for a few rounds in the field today with my son and every kid in town!  What fun! 
   I spent 10 hours packing , and opening trails last night with the clubs LMC 1800 groomer . Difficult night as no water , swamps are frozen .  Did not get stuck with the LMC  as  it carries up better than the bombardier 110 groomer the club has.
     Merry Christmas to all!
           48bomber

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2009, 06:17:21 am »
Yes,  I am very close to finish.  All the suspension and wheels are on and the only problem us that I have a bit too much end play in the axles.  Dan Shaver says it should be about .010 and I have about .023 so I will have to see about getting some thin spacers from my buddy at the machine shop today.  IF I can,  it may just got out the door in the next day or 2.  It would be nice to see some photos of your machine in action.  Please post some.

O.T.   Yes the stripes are hand painted just like the old days.  I will wait about a month and then the entire machine will be hand buffed.  I don't have to seal over it,  but I may spray another coat of marine varnish over it before next winter.

Oldsledz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2009, 07:56:30 am »
Yes,  I am very close to finish.  All the suspension and wheels are on and the only problem us that I have a bit too much end play in the axles.  Dan Shaver says it should be about .010 and I have about .023 so I will have to see about getting some thin spacers from my buddy at the machine shop today. 
Oldsledz

Oldsledz how big diameter spacers do you need for the axles?  I bought shims for my bogies. They are 2" ID & 3" OD. @ a local truck parts store. They were made to shim up the king pins on big truck axles. They fit perfect.  They are available from 10 thousands up to 40-50 thou.  
                                                                                                OT.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:11:57 am by the old trucker »

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2009, 05:56:03 am »
O.T.

Got the correct spacers yesterday and got the axles in and at the proper tolerances.  Put the drive sprockets on and now---just the tracks.  Going to try to get them on later today and if not,  tomorrow afternoon.  And then,  well I might be too afraid to try it! 

Oldsledz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2009, 07:11:30 am »

Sounds like your getting cold feet!! Ahh...your only a young pup yet!! You know everything is going to be OK. There may be a couple of minor adjustments you will make, but nothing serious. I know you will feel the pride of accomplishment. Just like Cam!!
    Here is a quote from the article in Canadian woodworking magazine that did an article about Cam back in March of 2006. This is what got me interested in these machines. I think you can still get back issues.

"A person gets to be quite proud when you've built the machine and then you're driving it down to the lake," says McLean.    The Old Trucker feels quite proud too, of what you & everyone else have accomplished in keeping these beauties going & keeping the history of these machines alive.

The Old Trucker

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile