Author Topic: Varnished Machine--  (Read 61192 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Varnished Machine--
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »

Hopefully the engine will look like this one. This is a 235 in a 58 Dodge power wagon.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/bombers/DSCF0271.jpg
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:07 am »

Frank, try vintagepowerwagon.com . Here is an email from one of our members. Thought I'd pass it on to you. Good Luck !!

hello claude  i checked the northern tracks forum tonight and i noticed that the new guy "oldsledz" was inquiring about a new front motor mount.they may still be available from after market suppliers.there are companys that make parts for the old dodge trucks which use the same mount.if he can't find one he could use a piece of conveyer belt of the right thickness and two bolts with locknuts.im registered on a forum called  p15-d24.the members deal mainley with old dodge vehicles and i believe most members are from the united states.the web site is:  www.p15-d24.com he could give them a try.they may be able to tell him where to get the mount.   

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 11:44:18 am »
Funny you mentioned Vintage Power Wagons.  I just finished restoring my  1952 Dodge m-37 army truck last year that has been in the family since 1962 and I dug up their old catalog.--Parts got ordered today.   FYI  you can also get parts from  robertsmotorparts.com  he does old dodge and chryslers.  The good thing is you talk to the owner and he has a wealth of knowledge.  He was amazed that the old bombers had chryslers in them. 

Frank

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 03:51:41 am »

Oldsledz keep us posted on your progress with pics & words. We don't have very many woody rebuilds. If you stain it I have a couple of pics of the pinstriping that you could use for reference.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:26 am »

This is a view of the dash area of oldsledz's 1948 b12.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12007.jpg

Below is the email that Frank sent to me.

Claude, This is the interior shot of my '48 B-12 and Charles tells me this is the standard heater in this machine and they made a deluxe one that went over the clutch and brake pedal. All the photos look the same as my 48 except I don't have a dimmer switch on the floor like that one does. I would post photo on N.T. but the file is too big for the site so I figured I would just forward it to you. Good luck getting it home. Hope you find that tag. Frank

Does anyone know how many different original heaters were put into these machines. Below are a couple of pics of one of Cam's rebuilds. Does the heater on this one look like it's original ?

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/June252006001.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/June252006004.jpg

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 03:44:52 am »

How is the paint stripping going ? Are you getting down to the raw wood ? I hope you are taking pics of your progress so I can have something to go by when I do one of my own !!
   Please keep us updated !! Thanks.
                                                                   The Old Trucker

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 06:24:02 pm »
O.T. 

Worked on the b12 all day.  Started at 7:30 this morning and got about 1/3 of the interior sanded down and it is looking real nice.  Started using paint stripper on the exterior and it takes 3 coats of stripper to get to bare wood,  then sand it with a finish sander. That part is going slow,  but I have until December to move it out of the shop.  Left my camera at work so I will shoot some photos tomorrow night.   Did you get the B12 carcass home the other day??

Frank

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 04:18:12 am »

Waiting for my friend to get a trailer. Hopefully some time this week. Please keep posting on your progress. If you want any pics posted on here, you can send them to me if you like..

Frank I don't think I'll find the " ID " tag. He told me his inlaws had it by their place for years before they gave it to him. But he says he'll look around there for me.

OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:41 am »
     A few pics of oldsledz's restore !! Keep it up Frank. your doing just great !!! Below is a part of his email.

Interior is starting to look real nice. I have a whole day so far in justgetting the interior stripped. It is going to look good. I got my 1/4"birch plywood in and it looks just like the original so I am excited to getit together. A friend of mine is coming up on Friday to look at strippingall the paint off the outside and he is a finish painter so he will do allthe inside varnishing. All the gaskets will be changed on the motor nextweek, so I think by the end of June I should have the motor in and theinterior finished. The outside paint should be started sometime in August,then I will take the tracks off and do all the wheels.

Here is the data off my tag. Model b 12 c sChassis 8a 8050Motor number 1165cCommande number 04137Date Fab 29 11 48 .

Frank if I'm seeing & reading this right, your machine was built in a leap year !!! That should make her more special !!!

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12129.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12127.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/BOMBARDIERB12125.jpg
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:05:39 am by the old trucker »

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 06:38:37 am »
O.T.

I wish it was leap year,  but that is November  29th,  1948.
frank

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 08:06:12 am »

There you go. Stupidity on my part. I don't know what I was thinking when I was reading that part. Grfishmaker you be quiet. Don't say a word!!!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:42 am »

Frank can you take a couple of pics of the metal brackets that help to hold the body together. Is there 7 brackets per side ?? Thanks.
                                                  OT.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »

There you go. Stupidity on my part. I don't know what I was thinking when I was reading that part. Grfishmaker you be quiet. Don't say a word!!!
I'm not saying a word. Just sitting here shaking my head my friend. Newfies! What can I say? Lord help us all. ha ha

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 03:46:25 am »

Well someone has to get some of you Westerners to smile & I see it's starting to work !!! Ha Ha Ha !!!! I have reached my goal.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:38 am »

"SODA BLASTING"
  Anyone have any thoughts &/or experience about using baking soda for blasting instead of sand ?? They say it's environmentally friendly. I am curious of how it would work on cleaning wood without removing too much material.
  I was thinking about in oldsledz's case. May be easier to get in around the nooks & corners, therefore doing a much cleaner & neater job, making the end result much better looking.
  Can anyone add to this ??