Author Topic: Varnished Machine--  (Read 61075 times)

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
Re: Varnished Machine--
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2010, 06:20:56 am »
Dave,

Give me a call when you get ready to go at the tracks,  axle  etc......  There are a couple of tricks I have learned from my friends in Quebec on taking off the tracks and such.   Got the machine back together last week end and so far it runs great.  Good thing I did break the axle for it allowed me to take out the differential and a friend of mine re-shimmed the ring and pinion,  changed a couple of bearings and one could see that the machine had just sat in a barn for along time for one side of the ring gear had some small pits in it.  Ready to go to Valcourt next Friday and then on to St. Raymond on Sunday.    Marc,  hope to meet you there.

Oldsledz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2010, 07:07:37 am »

Oldsledz when you go to the festival, you better have lots of fresh batteries with you. We are all waiting to see your bomber & a lot of others there. When you leave there, it's just as well to keep going west to Cranberry Portage, MB. for their rally.   ;D :D :) 8)
                                    OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2010, 11:41:58 am »
Oldsledz, There are likely more than a few of us that would like to hear about the tricks involved in removing and replacing tracks. Maybe you would be kind enough to start a new topic on this subject where we could share our experiences...

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2010, 04:22:48 pm »
I second that!!  I drove it a couple of blocks and the howl is loud enough to reduce the enjoyment.  I figure it is the differential. How loud should it be?  I could trun the radio WAY up, if it had one. The sprockets need recovering too and so on.  At least it runs and moves now!  By the time I get done the snow will be gone.  If I keep it long enough, it will be at our vintage snowmobile show FEB 21!!!!!!!!!!!!   BIGDAVE

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »
Nice mirrors, Frank!  I think Jeff wants some.  They'll come in handy for the Bomber race.
He might want to know the part # etc. I saw some on ebay but they didn't have such a nice curve.   Thanks,  BIGDAVE

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2010, 06:39:24 am »
Dave,

Got those mirrors from LMC Truck.  They cater to old pick up trucks.  They have a website   www.lmctruck.com

Oldsledz

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:08 am »
Dave,

I can't hear my differential at all.  You may want to pull it apart.  Take the tracks off first and put it in gear to confirm the noise.  These machines do make allot of noises going down the trail.

Oldsledz

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2010, 07:02:21 am »
Averyman.

This trick for removing tracks came from Charles Bouchard in Quebec.  First of all, loosen the track,  remove 5 cleats from the track,  jack up the machine and roll the track forward until the area that the cleats that were removed roll over the drive sprocket.  This lets the track get really loose and then you can get it off the rear wheel.  I have noticed that you have to get the machine at a specific height off the floor so there is some weight on the suspension.    The nice thing is if you need to change a wheel bearing,  axle seal or servicing the  differential,  you can do it and not take the track off the machine.  By doing this method I could remove and install the track alone. 

But,  after talking to Dan at Shavers,  he says there are other ways as well so my method is not gospel.  It just worked for me.

Oldsledz

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2010, 07:03:31 am »
I will get photos!!!

Oldsledz

Offline jockochoko

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2010, 07:23:05 pm »
              The machine turned out nice :)

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2010, 05:46:27 am »
Jeff has new mirrors but I haven't seen them.  Took off right sprocket, will do left today.  Will call you.  I understand that we may have met when you where in MN a few years ago.  Three places of possible contact, Pequot Lakes, Roseau Polaris Anniversary, Grand Rapids when Campbells picked up sled from a friend.  I remember the 2 cycle blender at Roseau.  Was that you guys. Never got a drink, but helped load some heavy old stuff into the trailer.
                          BIGDAVE

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2010, 09:18:53 am »
Yup,

That was us...............

Oldsledz

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »
Thanks for more info Frank. I drained some oil out of diff. I figured the level should be about 2" below the filler, then I noticed a scratch mark about there. Now it has a nice RED line there. I pulled 2 wheels on right, both need bearings.  One was bad enough to be noisey.  Had Timken 09074 and 15112. I could not believe the speedo was making all that noise I thought was differential!!!!!!!!!!!!! I emailed a Bombardier dealer near here about track belts and rubber for drive sprockets.  The reply was that they would have it.  Minnesota Outdoor Sports Specialties, mn-outdoors.com

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2010, 07:32:24 pm »
new pix   http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/BIGDAVE2_2010/pictures/?action=view&current=spindle.jpg  Jeff called wondering if I had died or ?  Worse yet, my Johnson JX 650 seized up.  Been busy watching Canada girls play hockey.  Between periods I have been making progress on wheel bearings and drive sprockets.  Have to be ready for big show.  We have a snow groomer demo coming up and I plan to display Jeff's B12 and give a few friends rides.  Might even get a pic with new Bomber.  Replaced all wheel bearings right side and moved 3rd tire to back position because of weather checking on rear one.  I will be making a display for show.  It's no "Varnished Machine", but it is more "polished" than it was.  Thanks for all y'all's help!  BIGDAVE

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2010, 08:29:39 am »
Jeff say its about time to start BIGDAVE'S Rebuild thread and get off of Oldsledz space.  OT can do that!!!  Thanks,  BIGDAVE and Jeff