Author Topic: Varnished Machine--  (Read 61077 times)

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
Varnished Machine--
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:09:20 am »
Have been watching this forum for over a year and wishing I had a B-12 and finally i found one in Quebec a week ago.  The machine is a 1948 and was origninally a varnished  one.  It is now painted red and I want to get it back to the original finish.  My question is,  was the plywood birch or maple.  Can't seem to tell.  Great site,  thanks.

Frank Lowell
Newry,  Maine

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Varnished Machine--
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:14:56 pm »

According to Cam McLean, he says the original frames were made from maple & the plywood used then was 1/4" birch. I'm not sure but I think he used a spar varnish on his machines.
  Do you have any pictures to show what she looks like now ??

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:48:44 am »
Thanks Old Trucker.  I think it is birch.  I am not too good at getting photos on the site so bear with me.

Frank

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54:05 am »
Welcome Frank..
My '51 B-12 is constructed with birch veneer over a maple frame. Outer finish is varnish with a deep red pinstriping.
Clarence

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:02:27 am »

Averyman, how thick is the veneer on your machine ? Your machine is original too, isn't it ?

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:15:18 am »
Averyman--

Do you have any Photos??

Thanks.

Frank

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »

Old Sledz... if you look under narrow gauge you will find a post called Averyman's bombardier pictures. There's a couple there.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:41:56 am »
Thanks.

Frank

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:54 am »
The veneer on my machine is 1/4 inch - 3 ply. Yes, it is all origional, could use a refinishing job but I am hesitant to tamper with it because it has never been touched and the origional  pinstriping would be lost. What is the general feeling out there, refinish or leave it origional ? It is always shedded when not in use so is protected from the elements.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:16:33 am »
Thanks for the info.  Mine unfortunately was painted red sometime in the late sixties--at least best that I can tell.  I don't know if i can strip it or not.  I know I have to change the sheet that goes from the windshield the the crossmember just behind the driver's seat and most likely the 2 strips on each side of the radiator vent.  I may try some paint stripper instead of sanding it just because it is only 1/4" thick.

Thanks again..

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:33:45 pm »
Thanks Old Trucker.  I think it is birch.  I am not too good at getting photos on the site so bear with me.

Frank
  Frank if you like you can email me your pics & I'll put them on here for you.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 04:18:29 am »
Thanks for the info.  Mine unfortunately was painted red sometime in the late sixties--at least best that I can tell.  I don't know if i can strip it or not.  I know I have to change the sheet that goes from the windshield the the crossmember just behind the driver's seat and most likely the 2 strips on each side of the radiator vent.  I may try some paint stripper instead of sanding it just because it is only 1/4" thick.

Thanks again..
  Frank why don't you try sanding or use paint stripper on those pieces that you are planning to change. There's nothing to lose ! At least then you'll have an idea on which is the better way to go !!
                                                                                                            OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 05:53:50 am »

Frank what are your plans for the motor ?? Is it original to the bomber ?

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 02:25:17 pm »
I am going to attempt to strip the paint first.  And yes it is the original matching motor to the machine.   My plans are to just change all the gaskets and seals,  re-detail the engine compartment in gray,  re-paint the motor and transmission,  change  the seals in the rear end,  check all the wheel bearings and make sure the bogie suspension is good and free.    Does anyone know if i can still get the motor mounts??  The one under the front pulley is not in the best of shape.

Thanks Old Trucker for posting for me!!  Great site.