Author Topic: Amp Tramp's Custom bombardier  (Read 8094 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Amp Tramp's Custom bombardier
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:10:00 pm »
  AmpTramp I see you managed to get the pics posted. They are a little different than the ones you sent me this morning. She looks great!! There are a couple of pics of bombers like that one on here now. I think they are in general discussions, under "BODY" / modifications to regular body shape. These bombers are from Quebec.
  AmpTramp you must have all those lights hooked to relays. Are they bright ??
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »
Very nice machine Amp Tramp, looks very functional.  What does it have for a motor, I see dual stacks coming out.

Offline cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »
Bob
Your machine looks nice.I have always wondered if the frame will give any trouble once the top arch structure is cut off.Possibly your new tubing framework will keep the machine good and solid.And by the way Bob how many kilowatt light plant do you have inside the machine to run all the lighting you have. Meeting you at night must be like driving into a setting sun.

Ray

Offline AmpTramp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »
The lighting is switched direct using 20 amp dc swiches, one switch for every two lights. We have installed two batteries and an isolater  with a 83 amp alternator.
The engine is a gas 318 industrial chrysler. We pulled a sled with an older suburban on it (6600 lbs) and had no trouble. We have different snow conditions here.

Is this a factory unit or was it fabricated in a private shop. It is very well put togeather and even without the square structure on top it is sound.

Regards

Bob Fitz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:57:55 am »

AmpTramp I have been in contact with friends about your machine to try & check it out for originality. I know a couple of people in Quebec that worked with  Bombardier's son, Jermain.
   I will let you know if anything comes out of this.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:23 pm »

Amp Tramp, here is the report that I got back about your bomber. I am only quoting what was told to me. I'm just passing this along.

Re: Need Identification Please‏
  Sent: March 4, 2009 6:12:13 PM
To:  Claude Stratton (popsshed@hotmail.com)

hi Claude I've been busy , this is a 1974 wide gauge that has been destroyed to say the Least and i was talking to a native in Rankin which is 400 miles north of Churchill this machine has been sitting there for over 2 years 

Offline AmpTramp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:09:21 pm »
Hello Everyone
Thank you for responding to my questions on the custom Bombardier called Amp Tramp. This machine sat at our staff house for the last two years as we did not have a any work for it. We use it to haul electrical supplies, conduit  and such. We find it useful as it has a pipe rack and a deck.

Have had many comments on the quality of the modification, most being favourable. I agree it is not a vehicle for everone, but it suits our needs. Runs well and have only had minor problems with it.

Once again thank you

Bob Fitz

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:18:26 am »
Hello Amp Tramp,
 Your machine looks good! Lots of room for loading cargo without having the pain of of the oneside cargo door to pass everything throug. You can tell your bomber was built for work, not a Sunday drive. A pretty stronge looking rack. When you said your snow conditions are different up there, I'm assuming that you mean it's blown and packed as hard as a rock in alot of places.
 Did I read somewhere that you mentioned that you had a trip planned down to Churchill this month. That's quite an outing! Take a bunch of pictures for us to see, as that would be very interesting trip in a bombardier.
Best of luck on your travels.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:16:51 am »

Amp Tramp, I agree with you that your machine was built with your work in mind. I guess with what Grfishmaker is saying about the snow conditions, the machine don't settle much into the snow.
  I have a question to ask you. It seems that some members have installed an electric fan on their motor doors to aid in cooling the engine, from what I can gather. I was wondering if you have the same problem, with hauling heavy loads from time to time??   

Offline AmpTramp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:18:47 pm »
Good afternoon grfishmaker and old trucker
I am at home working, but I am sick of paper and so I've wandered to this site.

Heating up; the only time we had a heat problem was pulling a load 7000 lbs (sled & load). We did not over heat but the temp was climbing. We were on the sea ice and a very sunny day. End of April begining of May. We dont get 24 hr sun here but close and if there is any type of reflection it can get hot.  We just opened the motor compartment doors and all was ok.  This unit has a trany cooler and I supose that helps. I saw the pics of the cooling fans, good idea. I  plan to install a system like my boat engine room has, using one side as intake and the other as exhaust.

Churchill trip: had to cancel, too much on my plate. My son has made that trip and I met him half way and continued on to Rankin, I would like to do it again.

Talk to you soon
Bob Fitz