Performance Forums > V6 or Straight 6 Engines

exhaust manifolds

(1/4) > >>

bluetoque:
I just installed a 300 six wi c6 auto in my narrow ga bug...both overhauled.The exhaust manifold gets red hot to the tail pipe extension on easy going.The muffler is a straight pipe going out the side ,same as original..heat risor is all in tact.Not sure of correct timing but runs nice at 8 d btdc. This engine is out of a 87 van..carberated but has electronic egnition.I have never seen manifolds that red hot...any suggestions??

Cranman:
Too far retarded, you'll have to advance your timing a bit.

grfishmaker:
I have a Ford 300 6 in my 53 wide and I noticed last winter that the mainifold gets red hot (even at 30 below). I will also make good use of your timing check advice. Thanks Cranman.

bluetoque:
I advanced the timing to 11 deg btdc.You can still see the red glow in the daylite but at nite the ex manifold and tail pipe is cherry red to with in a foot of the end of exhaust pipe...and this is on easy going as we dont have 6 inchs of snow here yet!!!THIS CANT BE NORMAL but this is the first ford engine I have ever owned OR IS IT????

Averyman:
I'm not familiar with the Ford 300 but I had the same situation with a gas engine in a combine. Problem was the tappet clearances were set too tight. If the 300 has hydraulic lifters this may not apply but if its newly overhauled it could have been set up too tight..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version