Author Topic: Weight????  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
Weight????
« on: December 20, 2008, 08:44:46 am »
Would anyone know, or venture to guess, the approximate weight of a wide gage woody? With a 318 V-8, & 727 transmission.

Just looking for a ballpark idea.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Weight????
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 08:37:18 am »
   Averyman told me he didn't know the weight, but seemed to remember a figure of approximately 1900 lbs. His is an original narrow gauge with a 251 & three on the wheel. Hope that puts you somewhere in center field Frank.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:11:26 am »
I'm no expert but by the looks of Houlio's Bomb. Manual off of his web site the Narrow Gauges run around 4200 lbs. and the Wide Gauges around 4300 lbs.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 11:51:14 am »
   You may not be an expert Chopperguy, but I am less than you. I ask stupid questions @ times, but it's how I learn. This is all new to me. Are you using the chart that Houlio posted in "How to identify a bombardier" ? If so it says the weights are 4,200 & 4,300 lbs. But if you look @ the body section of it, you'll see that it's a steel body welded together.
  Frank was asking about the wide woodie. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 04:07:06 pm »
Thanks guys. Yes, I was looking for the approximate weight of a wide gage woodie with a V-8 engine. I took note of the weight listed on the brochure for the metal version. Interesting that my 65 metal machine had sticker inside noting the weight at 5900 lbs. This was originally a power company machine. Has all eight tires foam filled, and super thick track belting. As well as a big 318.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »
  You got me curious now. Which one of us do you think is closer ??

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »
Sorry about that O.T. my eyes have decieved me.Did you know that I also have a sped reding korse digry....lol.Happy Holidays Guys.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 08:38:03 am »
  Frank you said there is a sticker on your bomber saying it weighs 5,900 lbs. Could it be from the power company. Maybe it's the weight of the machine with all the tools & gear aboard.

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 08:51:31 am »
Could be part of it. I don't know if you guys have experience with foam filling the tires, but the wheel weight goes up incredibly. As well, the track belting is the thickest I have ever seen. I'm sure a good part of the weight comes from there. And you make a good point with the tool load.
To take your point further, they might have estimated and added the crew weight as well.

Of course it's just a sticker, and has never been verified.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:40:01 am »
  57Narrownewf is thinking about getting the two rear wheels on his bomber filled with foam. What do you think the weight difference would be per tire ??

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 07:10:17 pm »
I would definitely go with the foam regardless of weight. Takes away the threat of being stranded with a rear flat. Unfortunately all my foamed tires are on the machine, and would have to remove one to weigh it. I'll do some checking to see if I can come up with a figure, but off the seat of my pants, I would think doubles it. Very noticeable difference.