Author Topic: Bearings & Seals for B-12 wheels  (Read 8075 times)

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Bearings & Seals for B-12 wheels
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:29:37 pm »
Installing the new track belts on my 1951 narrow gauge and found some bad wheel bearings. Here are the part numbers. All #'s are SKF through NAPA
Seals #134865
Outer wheel Brgs- Cup BR09074   Cone BR09196
Inner wheel Brgs - Cup BR15250   Cone BR15112

BR15112 is not a common bearing these days so it might be prudent to stock up just in case..

Am having difficulty in finding a seal for the outer end of the drive axle just behind the sprocket hub. Can anyone help with a replacement # for this part?
Clarence

Offline Skenman

• View Profile
Re: Bearings & Seals for B-12 wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:20 am »
Averyman
My notes , I used a 15118 & 15250 timkin.
the front swing arms I have 25580 & 25520

your wheels seals must be cr. 134865..or  13865.
I found a National Seal 471835 which are much heartier.

Ken

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:23:39 pm »
hello Clarence: Those seals are a bit hard to find but I was able to get a National seal 5797 that is a good seal, like the originals. Had to be ordered in from Mexico or somewhere and I paid about $100. with taxes plus $8 shipping for the pair and that was 6 years ago. I'm sure you'll be able to get them in Brandon or Winnipeg. I did my bearings too with Timkens Cup 25821 and cone 25877 and the inner seal 45077 National. Your machine should have a grease nipple facing back that puts grease in the void between thr seal and the cup. that seems to prevent any leakage at the outside seal as its easier to seal grease than gear oil I guess.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:21:09 pm »
I take it your seals were leakiing. This can be caused by filling the gear oil up to the filler hole. I like to keep the level down a couple inches so I can just feel it. This is because the differential is mounted upside down and if you fill it the gear oil is up in the axle cavity. The level is too high in the axle cavity of the assembly.  Bombardier plugged the vents  and tapped in a new vent on the other side. I've never seen one plugged but if this did happen it likely would leak at the seals plus the pinion seal. Some of the pinion seals supplied are not good. I like the old original leather seals

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:45:07 pm »
Thanks for the info Cranman. I will run that national # by the NAPA people here in Brandon. The old axle seal is worn out and leaks grease but not oil so I assume the inner seal is OK. Would just like to replace the outer seal while I have it all apart to install the new tracks.
Clarence

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 01:28:25 am »
   I found National seals pretty good also. Another brand I used was called Chicago Rawhide & Stemco is another. I think Chicago Rawhide had one with a grit gard feature. It worked really well for me on trucks.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:05:23 pm »
Cranman.. Is that  drive axle seal (National #5797) a one piece unit with the seal permanantly mounted in a flange with  five bolt holes in it?
NAPA advises it is no longer available from National  but CR advises that they will in future be manufacturing a replacement under #20380. (They could'nt give a date though)  What year is your machine,just want to make sure we're talking about the same seal.
Clarence

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:40:12 pm »

Mine is an early 1953 (January) but is still old style early metal, like the 1952 with wood doors and aluminum sprockets etc so the part numbers will be the same. Too bad you can't find the National but I'm sure the CR will do the job. Maybe give Dan Shaver a call or email some other suppliers. There must still be some on the shelf somewhere. Good luck.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:38 am »
  I found a place, www.canadianbearings.com. They are in Toronto, ON. Don't know if they can help any.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 04:48:02 pm »
I got around the outer drive axel seal problem by chucking the flange in a lathe and machining off the dimples that held the origional seal in place. Then I pressed a CR#20526 into the flange. Not as robust a seal as the origional but it works fine.  National #5797 and CR#20380 are unavailable through NAPA. Cranman... my machine has heavy cast steel drive sprockets.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:45:19 pm »
The cast steel wheels are great. Many of  the aluminum wheels have been run loose at one time or another and the holes become elongated. I had mine drilled out with a centering type drill bit and had machined inserts made. Then I welded half inch fine thread nuts to extend the threads in the hub so that I can crank on about 120 or more ft lbs of torque on the grade 8 bolts . I check every year and got a bit more the first year or two but now they stay put. I understand this never was an issue with the cast steel ones.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 03:58:47 pm »
Installing the new track belts on my 1951 narrow gauge and found some bad wheel bearings. Here are the part numbers. All #'s are SKF through NAPA
Seals #134865
Outer wheel Brgs- Cup BR09074   Cone BR09196
Inner wheel Brgs - Cup BR15250   Cone BR15112

These #'s are for the 8 wheels, right ?? Does the seal fit against the short piece of pipe that is used for a spacer on the front three axles ?? Also, can the big washer with the tooth that fits in the groove of the axle be bought at a local parts store ?? I need everything. Any more ##'s ??
                                                                                 OT.       

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »
OT, those are the #s I used.  Here at my CARQUEST the whole set for one wheel $60.  I am replacing all bearings and seals on right side on Jeff's '48.