Author Topic: How to identify a bombardier  (Read 18668 times)

Offline houlio

• View Profile
How to identify a bombardier
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:02 pm »
I thought we should start a new topic where everyone could combine their knowledge to help identify bombardiers.  This would be to help to correctly identify the units by features.

For example:
   - In which year did they start making the skis interchangeable for a wheel package?
   - Was it just the wooden models before a certain year that had 5 port windows per side?
   - Did any of the wooden models have an escape hatch?     
   - Changes to the instrumentation - Chrysler Motor w/ ford gauges?
   - What year was the first metal body unit produced?
   - Changes in steering mechanism?
   - What year was the first wide gauge produced?

We could also help clarify model numbers such as what was the difference between a B12-C & B12-CS

B-12 C                              B-12 CS   

Chrysler T-112, 85 HP         Chrysler T-120, 100 HP (the special is for engine)            Engine
Center of wheels 38"          Center of wheels 41"                                                   Width
Width 13" 1/4                    Width 17" 1/2                                                            Tracks

__________________________________________________________________________________

The vehicle code number B-12CS represents the following:
     B   = Bombardier
     12 = 12 passengers (capacity of the vehicle)
     C  = powered by a Chrysler motor
     S  = the model is special

__________________________________________________________________________________

We need both questions and answers from the people who have spent countless hours with these units.  If there is enough valuable info added to this post it could be formatted different for all the members to use.

In the mean time .... Keep the slush in your mug and not in your tracks!   

Take Care - Houlio
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:23:23 pm by houlio »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: How to identify a bombardier
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:42:38 am »
  Sounds great Houlio! I guess that would include the c18 too. Out of couriousity, is the c18 the same length as the b12 from the dash board to the rear bumper ? Can you change the old style steering like on the b12 to the newer style like Swamp Dwags.
  Questions like that. I think it's great for people that have recently bought a machine. Like 3 friends of mine did a little while ago.
  I'm having a hard time to get them to sign up.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:22:08 pm »
This could be for any model OT - much like identifying a vehicle.  When you look at two trucks you know what year they are by certain features: Tail lights, head lights, bigger motor, etc  whatever. 

The end result would be a chart of things to look for by year.  Might help to find parts, or even if someone is trying to identify a unit that is for sale.

Would someone be able to answer some of the questions I asked in the original post?

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »
I believe that the first metal machine was made in 1951.  I'm not 100% on that though. Our 52' is metal.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:56:57 pm by Swamp Dawg »

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:19:21 am »
My 1951 machine is made with wood. I believe that 1951 was the last of the wooden ones and the metal ones began in 1952.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:41:20 pm »
Thanks kmp, I wasn't even aware that they made a C15 or C17.  What do they have for motors in them?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:57:29 am »
QUOTE FROM MAGAZINE ::
McLean's friends are proud of his achievements and give him a hand. "Some of us have helped with some parts, like the mechanical work, wiring and installing glass. But he does the woodwork himself and the finishing. They're every bit as good as when they came off the factory line in Quebec. In fact, they're probably better, because he has access to better finishes than they probably had then," says friend Bob Huck.

These machines were produced by the L'Auto-Neige Bombardier Limitée in Valcourt, Que., from 1937 to 1958. The wooden ones McLean restores date from the late 1940s and can carry up to 10 people comfortably inside a warm, heated cabin. Later models were made out of metal.

Folks, the above wording is from the woodworking mag that did the story on Cameron Mclean. It says these machines were made from 1937 to 1958. Was the 1937 built from wood ? I thought the last wooden body was built in 1951.
  It says Cam restored the ones from the late 40's. Can anyone add to this ??? I know the bombardiers were built up to 1969.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 03:21:19 pm »
  What is the difference between these two tags.

Gror's machine                        Houlio's machine

model #      b 12cs                         b 12cs
chassis #    ob 3046                       9a 2328
order #       12433                         07056
build date    11 12 50                      27 10 49

Gror has a cargo door on his & Houlio don't. Is that the reason for different chassis #. Are the chassis different ??
 Everything else checks out OK. I don't know if I missed anything.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 03:46:27 pm »
  Houlio in the section " what's the difference" reply # 4, you said the "R" stood for the skis being interchangeable with the wheels. I know you said you were not 100% sure, but my friend has a C18 & has wheels on it. Shouldn't that machine be called a C18 R. I'm just curious my friend.
   Maybe some of our members can help us out.   
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:48:08 pm by the old trucker »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »
Her's another quote from Bombardiers biography.

" The C18 (Chrysler, 18 passenger) was an expanded version of the B12 developed in 1945 for school transportantion. The name B12 CS means "Bombardier 12 Passengers Chrysler Special". "

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »
A bit more info.

"At one time, all of the vehicles sold by L'Auto-Neige Bombardier Limitee had interchangable sets of wheels and runners to allow travel on soft or rough terrains. This was the case with the snowbus-type vehicles such as the B12 and C16 which, thus modified, became known as the R12 and the R18. The R series has all-steel bodies. However, sales never were spectacular. The R series remained in production until 1979. They were the last large snowmobiles produced by the bombardier plant for mass transpotantion. Their lack of sucess on the market convinced Armand that the days of the large snowmobiles were over."

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 05:14:17 am »
  Grfishmaker can you tell me what is different between the C18 & the R18 ?? When did the "R" series start?? Doesn't Swamp Dawg's "52" has interchangeable wheels & runners.  In 1957, the c18 "narrow" is interchangeable.   

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 08:26:38 pm »
I just recently found a contact that was able to help me with the date codes on the tires we have on our unit.

Goodyear Date Code
371Y225N = manufactured the 22nd week of 1945
339Z535N = manufactured the 53rd week of 1945

I can hear it already OT - how did I get the 53rd week of 1945 when there are only 52 weeks in a year.  Well ..... The tires were produced and dated with the week starting on Sunday, but because December 31st 1944 was a Sunday (new shift) they counted it as the 1st Sunday of 1945  -  making December 30th, 1945 the 53rd week of the year. 

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:29 pm »
Trying to attach some specs on 12 passenger & 15 passenger units from a brochure I have from the early 1950's.  Files are a bit too large, will try one more thing but may need to send them to Swamp Dawg for help.   

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:41:16 pm by Swamp Dawg »