Author Topic: How to identify a bombardier  (Read 18940 times)

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: How to identify a bombardier
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 04:23:40 pm »
well,not to sound like a know it all..I was aware that it had been used for the missionary postion once or twice,thus bringing up the retail value!!!....that said being kind hearted,I will not be seeking more than fair market price for this rare machine...

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 02:24:36 pm »
hmm  grfishmaker,i've now come across an  r 25 model...it's a wide gauge also...I believe this model was used to harvest ice worms,in the sub artic..

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 08:39:17 am »

Oldsledz, you said that your bomber doesn't have the dimmer switch, right ? If you look at Houlios machine you'll see there is a dimmer switch on his, same location as mine. His is a 1949. Yours is a 48. Maybe mine is a 1949. The first year for dimmer switches !! I will ask Charles what he thinks of it.
   Averyman does your 51 bomber have a dimmer switch on it ?? Cranman, can you add some light on this question ??
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 10:42:11 am »
You may be right.  I was at the museum in Valcourt this past wednesday and i did not pay attention to the one there,  but i think is was a 48 so it probably was not on it.
   Met Ernest Bombardier,  he is J. Armand's first cousin.  He worked in the little garage in the very late 30's and he was i guess you would call him the "quality control" guy in the factory.  He made sure that the machines were done correctly and also any options were in place before they went out the door.  He also stamped the brass tags for those machines.  He is 92 years old and  is still very interested in the big machines.  Very interesting to hear his stories.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 12:31:50 pm »
OT.. Yes my '51 has a dimmer switch. The origional headlight system is pretty dim to begin with,I can't imagine why they thought it necessary to dim them further.... maybe government regulations ??  Options were mentioned in a previous reply, someday I'll get around to posting  a list of all the available options in 1951... there were quite a few...