Author Topic: Two speed rear end  (Read 7650 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Two speed rear end
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:55:01 am »
    Do you think a two speed rear end would be any good for these old bombers ? I remember when i first drove a truck with the ruxel button on the stick. Thought I was king of the road back then.
   It gave you a good starting gear, plus it allowed you to move up by half a gear @ a time, rather than trying to go that full gear & lose it all. Instead of five, you had ten gears. I found them great.
   In my last truck I tried an 18 speed. Easier on the clutch, trans, & rear ends. There were so many options I had for power or speed.
   Just thinking out loud again. Anybody got some pros & cons about this setup???
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline sav_x69

• View Profile
Re: Two speed rear end
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:12:38 pm »
this idea would give you more gear ratios for bombers with less hp, but 400 horses will pull pretty much anything!

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:53 am »
Will they work with automatic transmissions?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:16 am »

I'm not sure about automatics. Back in the day, late 60's early 70's, the 2-5 ton trucks were shifted with the ruxel button on the stick. I used the fuel & clutch, it all depended on if your going up or down the gears. If you had an automatic you may get away with working the fuel....   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:43 am »
 Here is how you shifted the 5 speed with ruxel. Note the difference in 4th & 5th gears. There were times when the ruxel would screw up when out on the road, so I'd have to get a small stick & jam it in the ruxel housing, keeping it in lo or hi..... It got me home.   

Gear   Ruxel

1-     lo to hi

2-     lo to hi

3-     lo to hi

4-5   lo

4-5   hi

Offline sav_x69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:23:59 pm »
There is a product that dose a similar thing called gearvendors they bolt to the transmission and split the gears for you, so every gear essentally has an overdrive.The only drawback is its like $3000!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:23:49 am »
There is a product that dose a similar thing called gearvendors they bolt to the transmission and split the gears for you, so every gear essentally has an overdrive.The only drawback is its like $3000!

Wouldn't that change gear ratio in the trans & keep the same ratio in the diff ?? With 2 speed ruxel it changed gears in the diff. I don't know much about it but I want to learn...

A NOSEY OT.

Offline sav_x69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:28:16 am »
Yes gear vendors  is a gear splitter so the rear end Ratio stays the same and it splits your tranny gears up for a more usable torque band  and fuel economy.I would essentally turn your 3 speed to a 6 speed tranny.