Author Topic: Adding power steering  (Read 12807 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Adding power steering
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 08:21:30 pm »

Marcdds can you find out more about this kit for us. I'm sure there are alot of members interested. Any pics, price, etc....whatever information you can find.  Marcdds I was talking to Alain Bosa on the phone yesterday (he owns the  wine color B12 from Quebec) . He was telling me there is a place in Que. that makes & sells kits for the framework of the B12. He will check it out & call me back next week. Do you know anything about this ??

Thanks, OT. 
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »
I think the power steering pump would be adequate OT, but I have no details on the cylinder. Ted rigged Cam's big Gem and as far as I know it has always worked perfect. Stuck-in-slush made his setup the same so maybe if he comes on he can scan some pics. I know there was good pics at the time of costuction. I remember the guys putting in some pretty heavy rigging at the time to handle all the torque required to turn those skiis.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 06:19:15 am »

Thanks again Cranman. I just sent him a message.    OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 04:43:31 pm »
marcdds

Re: 51 R18 Rebuild
« Reply #49 on: Today at 03:45:40 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys nice job i just bought a nother snow it has power sterring il send some pictures when i figure out how to do this .if any of u has original gauges sterring wheels or even the plymouth center piece ill buy some if u want  keep up the nice work u are keeping ARMAND BOMBARDIER  dream alive.i forgot even door  handels are ok to
===============================================================================

Marcdds if you have trouble posting those pics you can send them to me & I'd be glad to post them here for you
                                                                                           OT. ;D 8)

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 06:49:02 am »
Hey All,
   I have seen a power steering posted  on here for a wide  ,metal. If anyone could come up with a plan for narrow wood that was mostly hidden  i would want to install in my machine. I love driving the b 12 ,  but the steering is difficult  going slow or on twisty turns. The sharper the turn the more tension on the spring and chain. As you turn the ski leg stands up more , and makes the ski bite in more. Don't get me wrong  ,for the old machine it turns good  ,but with considerable effort.

48bomber

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 07:56:01 am »
Maybe something like this would work for you.  https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7122&catname=hydraulic
This device would be installed into the shaft between the steering wheel and the gear/rack under the floor.  A power steering pump would be install on your engine and plumbed over to this valve/motor.  This valve/motor would need to be fastened securely to the main frame, so maybe the best position would be nearest to the gear/rack under the floor.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 08:08:09 am »
    Here's what I have been thinking about. You'll have to excuse the drawing.. I'm not an artist.  

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0794.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0795.jpg

Here is where I am to now. ( below )

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0773.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0774.jpg
    I am thinking this should work. The only problem I have is mounting the control valve to the steering without cutting it off.
    Dpaulson has done a great job on his, but I'm old fashion. I want to be sure of having some sort of steering... in the event of something going wrong when your in the woods.
   Anyone with an idea on how to do this please let me know. I guess I'm slow doing work on my bomber... but I am having fun doing what I can.
    Dave, I was posting this when an alert came on my screen that some one has posted something. When I looked at the post I think I saw what may be spot on to make this work. Great find my friend. Now back to thinking .... AGAIN.    
                                                                                     Thanks from one old trucker    

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:16:29 am by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 08:28:20 am »

I forgot to mention I want to keep my gear shift linkage in place to my steering column as I have it hooked up to my transmission & it works great. Also shifts the right way.

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 11:42:54 am »
hi guys there is a guy in saganay that used to sell kits for power sterring on b12 ill try to get the info and post it

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 09:59:40 am »
hi guys there is a guy in saganay that used to sell kits for power sterring on b12 ill try to get the info and post it

The later model wide guages had power steering as well as auto trans. It is not any easy thing to put on an existing machine but Cam and Daryl McLean have great systems on their wide guage woodens. Ted and others heped them with the design and construction and they are neatly installed under the floor. Very neat jobs. Have seen hard copy photos but doubt and have been taken digital that can be emailed.. To my knowlege no one has put one on a narrow guage wood but it likely is possible. THe spacing is much tighter.

Marc.... did you ever get any information on the power steering from that fellow in the Saguenay yet ? KPM awhile back you talked about your friend putting power steering on his. How did he get along with it ? And Cranman... is there any way you can get a pic or two of Cam's steering ?? I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks, OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:41 pm »
Well my friend fabricated and installed his power steering,and it's works awesome...power steering does  make life easier...instead of 2 hands to turn..u can do it with 2 fingers...he also changed up to an automatic....which in my opion is the best way to go....wide gauge v8...automatic...i've owned quite a few bombardiers.....and for tough gong in deep snow or slush....the wide gauge v8 with auto is hard to beat.
        kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 06:21:40 am »

KPM is it set up the same way as Dpaulson's. Any chance of getting a pic or two of it ??   OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:04 am »
hmm,no it's different.....i'll ask if i can take a couple pictures.
                                                                                      kpm

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 07:38:29 pm »
Here is a picture of the model and serial number for the power steering cylinder that is used in the newer bombardiers (74-81 I believe)