Author Topic: bombardier rim  (Read 21765 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
bombardier rim
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:50:56 pm »
Can anyone e-mail me a couple close up pics of a rim for a bombardier . Side on, 45, & one for width. The one with the small hub. my e-mail is ;;popsshed@hotmail.com
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: bombardier rim
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:01:53 pm »
I guess I should have said I have been talking to a supplier of differant rims. He says he needs a few specs of the rim. The hole diameter that the stub axle goes into & the total depth between the inner & outer bearing. Also I need the width for the tire bead, I think it's 4"?? Lastly I need to know if there is any offset to the rim. I would think it's centered. I've heard people saying it's hard to get rims for these bombers. Someone told me some people are stealing rims right off the machines. If that's right, wouldn't you want to try & curb that problem by helping me with info to try & find a solution. I am pleased to be a member of this forum. If there's anything I can do to help out any of you by way of this forum please let me know by posting a little message. I find that there is a lot of looking, but I don't see a lot of talking going on. That is how we all learn. We all have problems with these machines, so lets get busy & talk about it on this great forum. Help you neighbour & he'll help you. Remember, if YOU can't help us, We can't help YOU.  I apolige if I have offended anyone.   Thank You 

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:51:03 pm »
You are 100% correct on the number of people looking for information and not offering any. There are allot of very knowledgable people out there on this site that know a great deal but for whatever reason choose to remain silent. I know some members that tried sending direct emails to other members asking questions and never receive a response.
As your post here, "Bombardier Rims" goes to show. There were 20 views of the post, but when it was just information you were asking for, no one bothered trying to provide any help. If, on the other hand, you were selling bombardier rims, you would most likely be on your third page with inquires asking how much and how many you had.
If there is no one on this site that doesn't have a rim to measure, then they are in a shorter supply than I thought.
Those websites you gave us for possible suppliers for lights, door handles, wiper motors etc.. have been very useful to me. There's allot of intreseting products out there that may be useful to us for our machines, but we may never find the sites. It's nice when someone posts them for others to look at and maybe use.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:07:13 am »
   Good day to the members of this fine forum. I have found two dealers that say they have a couple of " NEW " rims in stock. They are supposed to fit the old bombardier snow bus, he says. One dealer is out west, & the other is down this way, for the east coast.
   I told him I was looking for a rim to fit a 47 to 70 bomber. I am not sure if I'm right in saying that they fit all. That's where you people come into play.
   I think if I had the right bearing #'s & specs of those wheels, I could confirm those with dimensions of this new rim. They said they would be expensive.
   I just want to make sure I give you the right information. And yes you are right in saying I have nothing else to do. Total disability changes life in the blink of an eye.
   Looking forward to your help, to help yourself !          

The Old Trucker  10-4

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:12:37 am by the old trucker »

Offline bsonthelake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:36:53 pm »
hey old trucker how is it going? have a little info on those rims. the bearings  that fit that rim are #15112 in timken brand for the backside of the rim and #09074 in timken brand for the frontside of the rim. i don't know the exact size of the diameter of the rim hole. i hope that helps you out.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 03:52:39 am »
   It's a start. They should know the sizing of these bearings. This company says they sell some parts for these machines. Now that I have some ##'s to start with, we'll see where we go with it.
                                                Thanks,   TOT

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:27:49 am »
,,different years...have different size bearings...
                                                                     kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 02:20:46 pm »
  KPM, if that's the case, what's the ##'s of those different size bearings, & the years they belong to ?
I was told that they were the same up to 1956 - 1957. After that they changed to a different bearing. I stand to be corrected on that.
  I know that the j5 has bigger bearings. I plan on calling this supplier on Tuesday. Come on with the info, 10-4!!!

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:08 pm »
I'm curious why your going to all this trouble to research wheels.  Have you got a project on the go?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:11:05 am »
  Dwag, it's the same reason I went through all the trouble researching tail lights, wiper motors, door handles & whatever else I researched for. I guess you can call it being "old age & headstrong". Same reason Bombardier did research on these old machines.
  I would love to say yes to your question about having a project on the go, but unfortunately I can't tell a lie. I don't have anything on the go. If you would like to donate a wooden body frame to me, then I'd say "YES" in a heartbeat.   
  Guess it's in my blood to help people out if I can, plus I find these machines very interesting. I heard that Bombardier made a press to make his wheels on site. That's 70 years ago. I'm sure we can do it today easier with our advanced skills.
  Life is very short & I'm making the best of it, my friend. It keeps me out of trouble with the boss!!! ha ha ha
  I hope this answers your question.
                                   10/4 you got the old trucker on the side.

PS: I could research on getting that free frame bought down my way!!! For FREE!!!  chuckle  chuckle.       
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:39:15 am by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »
  According to the way I heard it today, you can still buy new rims to fit the old bombardiers (snow bus ) as the gentleman called it today @ Prinoth Ltd. in Calgary AB. Now the price is fairly reasonable too. Only $ 710.09 each. Part # 602 000 200
  I have been wrong before, but the understanding they gave me is that they have them. I will contact the other dealer this week.

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »
Hi,

I received the following message from a guy that is manufacturing new wheels for bombers. I don't know anything other than what's here. Just a copy of his message. I don't know anyone that has had any dealings with him, but looks interesting. This is my first post, and I tried unsuccessfully to add a picture that he sent me, but did not work. I can send it to anyone that would be interested.

Frank Walsh

Hello, just wanted to inform you that my company is manufacturing brand new Bombardier rims for snowbuses.  They are made of 14 gauge steel with a heavy duty machined center in which the grease cap threads onto.

Hello Frank, the price on the rims are $300 each.  The only other place that sell them is $500.  I can be reached at 19052524487.

Many Thanks,

Mike Jubb

indexfinger69@hotmail.com

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:47:28 pm »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 09:40:46 pm »
Good find Frank, that's not too bad of a price.

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:06 am »
I thought so. Again, this was just an email I received unsolicited. I have no experience with the guy or the product, so can't vouch for him. But looks to me like they are worth a try. Personally, I'm sitting on a stash of about 6 or so extras, so I hopefully never need the guy.