Author Topic: bombardier rim  (Read 21745 times)

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: bombardier rim
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:52:37 am »
Ya its nice to have spares, but it good to post this incase somebody else is looking.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »

Does anyone know if the rims from an older J5 will fit the b12?? How about the rims from a SW48 or SW54??   
                                                     The Old Trucker

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »
To old trucker,

Hope all is well with you in the east.
   How is your bomber comming along? 
   Any new pics?
    48bomber

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 03:36:56 pm »

I haven't been doing much lately with it. I was a long while trying to get the nerve up to put the rear engine oil seal & the front seal in the tranny. I am not a mechanic, but I got it done & I feel proud of what I have accomplished to date. I don't feel right asking people to help me on these matters. I have had a lot of verbal help from member "Retmech" & a few local mechanics.
  I want to see what work I can do by myself before getting others help. I got to take my time on account of the ol' ticker. The motor & trans is ready to put in place after I put a couple of bomber rims on to help carry the weight better. I'm hoping to bring a few parts to the blaster this week like, 3 rims, gas pedal, starter pedal & the big half moon gear that's used on the steering. . If you folks want something to do to help me you all can help me with the measurements for the framing. I probably could figure it out when I get the templates for the sides & go by them. It's like they say, a picture says it all.
  Anyway I have a very old chair that I have to re glue for a neighbour of mine, then back at the old beauty again.  Slow "n" easy does it.

The Old Trucker is determined to    " GET ER' DONE"   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »

I am going to look at a few old rims from an old J5 tomorrow. According to Guy Pepin @ the museum he told me the rims from a 1960 & earlier were the same as the bomber. I was told that the ones I will look at have the small bearing in front.
    If I were to use the rim from a newer J5 & had plugs made for the front, can you still use the caps made for them ??

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 09:00:24 am »
  I had 5 rims given to me yesterday. I think they are from an old J5. When I was taking the old tires off I noticed that three of them are a bit wider than the other two. Three are 4" wide & 2 are 3 5/8" wide. I forgot to recharge the batteries for the camera last night. I'll get a couple today & post them soon.
  They look to have the same center hole diameters as mine. I will clean them up a little & measure the holes. If these work out OK, I have leads on 8 more.

Looks like OT's rolling in rims !!

let's see now... $10...sand blasting... $5 for a quart of tremclad paint... sell for $ 200 each...x 8 = should be almost enough to finish my bomber !!  Ha Ha

I forgot I took a few pics for a fellow, so here they are. Cranman or any body, do this J5 look like it was built before 1960 ??  

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0699.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0696.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0695.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0691.jpg      
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:02:46 pm by the old trucker »

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:11 am »
Those sprockets look in decent shape also, maybe get that too.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »

Those sprockets will fit your machine. This is one of my sprockets in the pic below.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/DSCF0319.jpg

Here is a pic of those 4" rims I have. It's a full 4" outside. They all have the 2" hole in front. The 4" ones have the valve guard. Once I have them sandblasted they should be OK.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0710.jpg

These below are only 3 5/8".

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0711.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0712.jpg

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 03:54:25 pm »
Ya, that's what I mean.  Send em to me ;D
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 04:24:06 pm »

I think it would be just as cheap to buy new up there, than pay the freight to get them up. There should be alot of that stuff kicking around in people's back yard, especially up there. Ask around & I'm sure you'll get more than you want. That's what I was told by the Grfishmaker, & sure enough I find something new everyday.
   I should come up your way with a pickup & an enclosed tlr.  I'm sure I can come back with enough to build 2 bombers complete....
                                                                            OT... justa scrounging parts !! ;D ;D

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 10:41:28 am »
They should be ok OT. If the inner cone on the j5 is 15112 and the cup 15250 and the outer is 09074 and cup 09196, you are in business. Use the stem protected ones on the back with new 6 ply tires if you can as they are most important to get home every time, Even if the inner is ,15118 which I doubt, you can still change them to 15112 to fit yours.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »
  Thanks my friend. That should leave me with 4 or 5 spares.
Has anyone come up an adapter that allows you to change the skis on the "woody" & put on regular wheels ??
  Cranman I may have the other problem solved about putting wheels on back. I am waiting to hear from a local tire company that has 3 foam filled regular J5 wheels that the customer hasn't picked up for a long time now. I'll see if I can get a bearing to fit both the rim & spindle.

OT.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:25:18 pm by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »

Anybody looking for a rim  ??? If you have a big hole J5 rim you can swap for a bomber rim. This fellow has 16 bomber rims.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/DSC00804.jpg

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 05:42:11 am »

What's the going price nowadays for a good used rim ?? I have been getting them for free up to $20 bucks a piece. I have a chance to sell 6, & was wanting to know what price I should ask. And I won't be leaving myself short by selling a few.

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »
well..I sold 16 to GRFISHMAKER....if I remember right...I think he paid somewhere around 20 thousand or so!!
....you should buy those two solid ones in the picture,change your back axles to fit them and OT your in business!!
               kpm
 oh yeah OT the bombardiers were still attached to those rims GRFISHMAKER bought!!!