Author Topic: 1958 narrow gauge  (Read 4067 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
1958 narrow gauge
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:36:08 pm »
i think i'm going to look at this machine next week. it's for sale as far as i know. suppose to be in working condition. original 6 &
3 on the wheel. please give me tips on what to look for.   oh yea
he had it towed on a tilt & load to whereever he went????!!!!

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: 1958 narrow gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:17:33 am »
My apoligies to all. I wrote this in a rush yesterday. In a rush & excited !!!
  It's suppose to be a 1958 narrow gauge with the original flathead 6 cyl. engine that still runs. Also it has a 3 speed on the wheel. I don't know a big lot of info about the machine. I have heard that he used to put it on a tilt & load tow machine to move it around. I'm not sure on the reason why.
   I think he said he had new tracks put on 5-6 yrs. ago. Think I am going to look at it one day next week.
   What i'd ilke to know is what to look for. Like condition of the track &  cleats. tire rot. If left out doors there should be some dry rot. Overall shape of the body, doors, glass,interior,get        it running & see what it sounds & moves like.
   I guess it probably still has the brake on the back of the trans.
Are they dependable? Also i'll look at the steering. check for slop
in the linkages. Can you still get the clutch for this machine if it
needs replacing? Did that year have 6 or 12 volt setup?
   Do you think there would be much wear or slop on the drive sprockets & stub axles?
   Don't know what else to look for. Any particular spots to look for breaks in the body?
   The wife says i got a big head with nothing in it. Please help me prove her wrong!!!

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:46:30 pm »
Take lots of pictures if your going to check it out.  Then post them up for us to see.

Offline bsonthelake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:30 pm »
old trucker did you get achance to look at the 58 bomber? what kind of shape was it in ? did you buy it and if not how much did he want for it? where is it located at? thanks bill.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 04:54:46 pm »
Bsonthelake I posted a note titled: just had a quick look @ her(ouch), on March 11/08 @10;52 am. in general discussion. To me all the metal from the bottom up about 3-4" is rusted through. I'm hoping to get out & see if I can get a few pics if the weather clears up & melts away from the machine. He said he took the gas tank off to clean but it's not back yet. It's suppose to run & I'm waiting to see it move before I make a move. Door handles broken off, motor looks kind of so/so. EVERYTHING about this seems so/so. You know what I mean!!! It's down here on the island.
  If your interested in a machine i can check on two down here that are supposed to be for sale if you want to pay $15,000.00 EACH!! Supposed to start & go.  That's to much for me.
  If you live around Winnipeg it'll cost you $4,000.00 for shipping costs.