Author Topic: looking for some measurements  (Read 9501 times)

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
looking for some measurements
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:54:07 pm »
hello folks,we are in the middle frame up narrow gauge rebuild.i have been looking everywhere for another woodie to get some measurements from.we are especially looking for the roof rib(crossers) measurements to determine width of roof from front to back.

thanks 

Offline gror

• View Profile
Re: looking for some measurements
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:14:09 pm »
Just measured mine and its 4 feet wide from windsheild to back bumper. Hope that helps!!

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:23:46 pm »
thanks gror,was looking for measurement of each roof rib as well from front to back.we seem to having trouble maintaining 4ft especialy at rear of machine.i have been looking through all the pictures posted here but cant seem to see the curvature of the machine at the rear.   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:49:45 pm »
Plott Hound, if I'm not mistaken the back is narrower across the back than in the middle of the machine. I'm not sure about the front. Look up cameron's rebuild & you'll see what I'm talking about. Looks like 47" on bottom & 44" or so on top in the middle. Look down the side & you''ll see it tapers in, front & rear & on top. Cameron would know for sure. I'd sure like to be there helping you out with the woodworking.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:56:50 pm »
Hound,, do you have the original wood to use for template? When you look at cams pics you'll see the upright for framing, you can clearly see  the angle of the side. Jeez, I wish I could help!!!

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:03:48 pm »
thanks TOT,i think we have it very close but we have no old body to go by.we do have a restored wide gauge woodie but it is slightly different.when the wide gauge was restored we tooks a few patterns off of it.
for some reason our wood frame looks a little wonkey. :o

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 06:18:05 pm »
Never heard that one before. (wonkey). What does it mean? Did you see cams pics? The upright that is used for framing behind the front door shows the taper. I think if you had that measurement across there, you could gradually flare it out to the back. Hope I'm not bothering you. I didn't know you could get a wide gauge woodie. Do you have a picture of it?

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:06:03 pm »
wonkey=not right ,twisted,warped you get the idea.lol

wide gauge woodie is a C-18

i can see the flare in cams pictures and i think we got it as long as 48" is maintained across the roof.

will ask the boss if i can post some pics. ;D

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:45:41 pm »
Sounds right. I sized it up & it looks like you said, straight from back to front. I just learned something new.     

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 08:00:39 pm »
gror helped me on the measurements ;D

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 06:24:56 am »
   Plott Hound I sure hope you are taking step by step pictures of your rebuild.
   I would like to see a wooden restore. Step by step. I think that I could learn a lot from it.
   All the pics I have of wooden rebuilds are a few of Houlios & I think I have two of Cam's.
   I would like to see more wooden rebuilds. Especialy one or two of Cameron's.
   Who's in favor of seeing more woodie rebuilds on this great site?? 
   Please sign below!! No pushing!! One @ a time please!!! (ha ha ha)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 06:35:00 am »
   Hound if the roof is 48" wide from front to back, how wide is the tub across the middle half way back??? I assume the ends are 48"?? Judging by Cam's pic I think the measurement would be approx.54-55" across the middle. How far am I off??? Id like to know.
   If I ever build one I'll have some ideas. Thanks

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 02:32:45 pm »
  Plott Hound how are you getting along with the rebuild? Everything working out ok? What size wood did you use for framing? Did you measure across the middle of the tub. I'm curious about my measurements. Itching to see how far I'm off. I guess you cleaned up the old gussets & used them over again. Listen what are you fastening the plywood sides & top to the framing with? Are you using plywood or something else?
  Send us down a sneak picture or two!! Bet yea no one will tell the Boss about it. Go ahead & feel proud of what you can accomplish!!!

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »
sorry old trucker,gotta wait.man slow down will ya,your enthusiasm is making us look bad. ;D

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:23 pm »
Plott hound how are you & Swamp Dwag coming along with the rebuilds? You got rid of the wonkeys?? And Dwag you got that dash painted & installed with all the gauges yet? How was the middle
   Either pic of her floating around? Soon be a month now since we heard from you or Swamp Dwag. Might of known you're a couple of teasers.
  Am I getting your dander up enough to grab that key board & say hello? Come on, grab it!!!