Author Topic: swamp dawg (condition-condition)  (Read 4431 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
swamp dawg (condition-condition)
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:14:28 am »
swamp dawg, can you or anyone else think of anything that i should be looking for in buying a used bombardier? Besides what i mentioned in general discussions. I plan on looking @ it some time this week. Any pointers sure would be handy to know. I'm never too old to learn.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: swamp dawg (condition-condition)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:18:03 am »
Sorry I don't know much about wood bombs.  Basically if its been sitting for quite a few years, don't be shocked that it won't run. 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »
Dawg, I'm sorry. I must have mislead you. I know I'm always talking about how much I like wooden bombers. But this one is a 1958 narrow gauge that supposedly still runs. All metal, (I think wooden ones stopped after 51). Don't know all the details yet. Look in general discussions under 1958 narrow gauge. I'm a greenhorn @ this stuff. Just trying to get pointers from you people who own machines on things to look for. Like the Clint Eastwood movie; The Good, Bad, & The Ugly. For all I know it may not be worth scrap.
       thanks to all!!

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:44:33 pm »
There isn't really any tricks to it.  If its metal, anything can be replaced.  Look at the tracks and sprockets these may need to be changed.  Motor and tranny, you won't know unless you tear it apart.  Then just the body condition.  As you can see from our rebuild, it didn't really matter what the sheet metal looked liked, she all came out anyway.  But I remember you saying you didn't have a welder.  If you are going to get serious and buy a metal machine, you had better be getting a welder and plasma. 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:22:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply dawg. My problem now is me. I'm not allowed near welders, as I had a defibulator put in on account of my heart. I have to stay 6-7 ft. away from them. Something to do with the magnetic fields in the welder.  Oh well, I can still look @ it. I don't have one of them ditigal cameras but i'll see what I can do with my 35 ml. An old woodie would be a heck of a lot better for me. I guess i can get a metal one & cut the body off!!! 
                                              Just joking!!!