Author Topic: gas tank  (Read 4930 times)

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
gas tank
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:36:31 pm »
  Anybody out there have a gas tank for sale? I'm looking for a tank for an old wooden narrow gauge.

Offline plott hound

• View Profile
Re: gas tank
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:48:12 am »
bud your better off to build or have 1 built.the damn old things are so nasty inside that you can never get them clean.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:02:07 pm »
That's true, I just thought maybe someone had one sitting around in not too bad a shape. You never know.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:44:01 pm »
Actually Cam McLean has a bunch of them as he never uses them when he rebuilds. He has tanks built for each side like the later models. He puts in 318's and they sit too high for those tanks. Just fired up his latest one this morning. Give him a call.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:53 am »
Thanks Cranman. I was actually looking for the newer style that fits inside the engine cubby above the tracks at the rear. Does anyone know if these tanks are pretty standard in shape or if the back angle of bombers has changed over the years (say from 1953 1970's).
I know getting them fabricated can be pricey (I would like to have some money left over to fill it with gas).

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »
THat is the type that Mel builds and the profile follows the back down. They are slightly smaller maybe 8 gallon as they are narrower to allow the filler spout to be inside the engine door. I think they did this so they wouldn't have to cut a hole in that nicely varnished plywood and have gas spilling out on the varnish.