Author Topic: Memorabilia  (Read 26175 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 07:14:57 am »
  Houlio, google in (old bombardier being used in NL.) Click on the second one down called snowmobile-mlu forum. Maybe you can tell the boys what the www. site is called. I can't get the d%#!* thing to work right.
  Anyway when you get there scroll around & click on a few spots. There's a b2 I think it's called that over in Kubinka, Russia in their tank museum. It's canadian. The flag along side of it says so!
  Lots of stuff to look @. Might find interesting. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:24:01 am by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 05:55:15 pm »
Old Trucker - Sounds like these boys are pretty focused on the military type vehicles, pretty interesting though.  Did you try to send them a post to check out "Northern Tracks"?  They might find the answers to some of their questions.  Keep the links coming!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 07:35:33 am »
    Houlio, I half thought about that, but didn't do it. I will try & do that today. Do you know the name of the site to get on there? I can find it but I thought we'd make it eaiser for Grfishmaker to find it when he returns. Someone has to help that fellow out!!!(chuckle chuckle)

Oh!! Almost forgot Houlio, in your St. Brieux site I noticed in a couple of pics of the front inside floor area, it looks like the chassis has some 2x? on edge. I was wondering if that area is mostly wood???   

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 11:02:19 am »
Here's a couple of the pictures of the old B12 in the museum in Kubinka, Russia.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/CarDatabaseNetPhotoID00005819.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/CarDatabaseNetPhotoID00005820.jpg
I notice that it has a cargo door on both sides with square windows. I find this interesting, as the old military machine that we have has the same type of cargo doors on both sides with the square windows. I always thought that they were added later in life, but perhaps they were factory stock after viewing these photos. It appears to be a metal machine, but I think it should be an old wooden body for that era. Something seems not right.
Good find OT.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 11:17:18 am »
Here's a photo of a bombardier from sometime in the same area as the ones above.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the projections behind the cargo door would be for?
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/Snowmobile2.jpg

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:20:49 am »
Couple of bombardiers used in the military.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/2B12_lg.jpg

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:11 pm »
Did you fellows see the bomber there that looked like it a large square looking funnel on top? If you did, did you take notice of what looked like a large tank (size of hot water tank,30-40gal.) across the back, behind the radiator. Looks like an extra large gas tank. Check it out. 

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 06:51:11 pm »
Here's the photo. It says it was taken at the Military Snowmobile (Bombardier) Manufacturing plant at Valcourt, Quebec in March, 1943.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/e000761188.jpg
Once again, I see the cargo doors with the square windows that they must have used for the military machines.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 07:14:28 pm »
Grfishmaker notice that the engine compartment doors hinge up & not ahead. See that tank i was talking about. I guess it would it be a large gas tank on account of being military. What do you think???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:16:01 pm by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 07:24:17 pm »
   Anyone like movies??? Look up   www.imcdb.org  Go to home page & click search. Scroll to search a vehicle & put (bombardier) in the make box & put( b-12) in the model box. then hit search. It's just some info about bomber movies.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 07:49:28 pm »
Grfishmaker in reply # 18 & 19 if you look in thru the windows of the machines in #19 it looks like Houlios is inside. In # 18 it sortta looks like wood inside with a metal skin outside. 

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:41 pm »
Looks like those mechanics are putting more grease in their hair then the wheel bearings! ;D

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 04:12:26 am »
Hey, Swamp Dawg: that was way back before your time. Lots of Brylcream on the go back then. Remember the old saying: a little dab will do ya!!!  ha ha ha!!!!

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 08:04:20 pm »
Below are a few pictures of the old military machine that I had mentioned earlier. It was originally up north somewhere on the DEW line and arrived here in Manitoba either back in the late 40's or more likely the early 50's. Originally, it was similar to the old machine I posted on page one; with fenders over the tracks (no body). When it first arrived, someone had widened the back area to come out even with the tracks. It still had the narrow cab with a wide body behind it and everyone that remembers it said it was quite a sight to see. And as you can see, it has evolved again to look a little more like the regular bombardiers of today. It was redone in the early 60's by my father and probably had approx. 20 miles put on it after that before it was stored away. When we went for our first ride we ended up bringing back a load of firewood; although that part was probably planned by my father (there are no free rides). For some reason, my father always called it an extra-wide gauge. It sat in an old garage here from the early 60's till 2004. When it was first put away, it was like new, all new wood, paint , redone motor, the works. Sometime over the years, the roof leaked and this is what it looks like today, although, it looks worse than it actually is. When you look inside, it's all like new, fresh paint and clean. There was still bark inside the cargo area from when we hauled wood with it some 40 years ago.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/November2005005.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/November2005009-1.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/November2005007-1.jpg
One thing that I've noticed is that the side doors are original. I always thought that this was a modification made by one of the previous owners. Notice the cargo doors on the military machines posted previously, they are narrower than todays, square windows and on both sides. Also, notice the large space between the side cargo door and the motor doors. As with the military machines, the motor door was solid, no vents.
I was reading an article about bombardiers history and it mentioned that the military made bombardier added various specifications to the machines that they ordered. They had a military engineer on site to oversee the building of the machines to ensure they followed their specifications.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:22 am »
Grfishmaker, you sure Dan Shaver never had his hands on that one? Looks like it's stretched out a little longer than normal. Are the dimensions close to a regular machine? What year is it? That windshield certainly stands out!! Still got the original motor & runs I guess???