Author Topic: L E D LIGHTS  (Read 5543 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
L E D LIGHTS
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:10:28 am »
led lights are bright, but i wouldn't put them on the back of any machine being used in the winter months. yes they do use less amperage. but the problem is they do not give off very much heat like incandecant bulbs do. snow will cover the lights in no time flat. we had them on a couple of new trailers we had. nobody wanted to haul them in the winter. thought i'd pass along this tidbit of information.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline B_Skurka

• View Profile
    • Snowcat Forums
Re: L E D LIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:02 am »
That makes a lot of sense.  I had LED lights on my trailer but replaced them with incandescent bulbs for a totally different reason.  The low current draw on the LEDs would set off the faultly light alarm on my tow vehicle because the LEDs didn't draw enough current.  The tow vehicle's computer system apparently presumed that the trailer had a burnt out light! 

Still, I think it does make sense to consider the fact that the bulbs don't generate heat and on a snow vehicle, where snow builds up on all the surfaces, heat is your friend because it can melt the snow off the lens of the bulb helping to keep the light visible to people coming up on your rear at higher speeds.

Thanks for the tip!
If you like obsolete tracked vehicles visit my site were the old vehicles still live!  http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:12:03 pm »
MR.B_SKURKA. just out of curiousity, what kind of tow vehicle do you use?  thank you for your tip also.

Offline B_Skurka

• View Profile
    • Snowcat Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »
MR.B_SKURKA. just out of curiousity, what kind of tow vehicle do you use?  thank you for your tip also.
My main tow vehicle is a 2005 VW Touareg.  It has a 7700# tow capacity, and for such a small vehicle it is very capable.  But it also has all sorts of computer controls and sensors so it is probably more complicated than most.  I've also towed with a Chevy V8 W/T 1/2 ton pick up that had a tow package and a Mercury Mountaineer V8 with an aftermarket hitch.  Of the vehicles, the Touareg tows the best, but is also the most complicated electronically.  It is also the newest of the 3 vehicles and I suspect that many newer vehicles of other brands will also have similar sensors?
If you like obsolete tracked vehicles visit my site were the old vehicles still live!  http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:39:55 pm »
just wondering . well so much for modern technology. good thing the old bombardiers are not like that.