Author Topic: Is it possible to build a bombarier from scratch?  (Read 26610 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Is it possible to build a bombarier from scratch?
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:50:52 am »
i'm not very good with the  computer.i just saw more pics on the 52 rebuild. is that one yours? definately worth more than a thousand words. i started reading about these machines 2 yrs. ago when cdn. home workshop wrote an article about cameron mclean. since then i've started looking and asking around about them.
I found out about 10 of them here on the island. but i have a better chance of buying hens teeth. so here we are now.

Strange things are always brewing in my head. why can't i build a wooden bomber from scratch? i have a lot of ideas. just listen. dummy spare tires & hubs mounted to torsion bar axles. guess. i think i can get the cleats & sprockets off a couple of old j5's. new belting would also be in order. also i think i'll have to buy the steering setup. i think i can acess some steel plate for the tub frame & front. what size channel and/or angle do you need for the chassis? this would be the hardest part of the job. i like working with wood. i like the model with the short angle just in front of the door. please don't tell me that i'm crazy, because the wife will only laugh & agree with you. hope you get this.

also what thickness and width belting can i use for the track? is the axle on the j5 same width as on the narrow gauge.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:16:25 pm by Swamp Dawg »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to build a bombarier from scratch?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:55:46 pm »
Hello Old Trucker
You can,t be that old if you are thinking of building a Bombardier from scratch.I have had the same idea over the years as well.Torsion bar axles will do the job,J-5 undercarriage parts will give you track bars and sprockets,the belting used is 6 inches wide X 5/16 to 3/8 thick that can be bought and punched out.The main tub will be a challenge to build as it has a frame of 3 inch channel rolled on 2 ends.If you can,t get them rolled you can fabricate the radius's.The rest is basic sheet metal work.You will need to find a automotive diff and cut it down to your  track sprocket to sprocket width.Keep in mind this is not a small job.After doing all the logistical planning on a project like this rebuilding a old wore out original is looking better all the time.
Every man needs a good challenge.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:07:15 am »
i don't think i'm that old. if the big fella up there lets me go i'll be 56 come april. i've been home now since spring of 2001. the old ticker shut me down on the way back home from virgina one day. so, it's been a long holiday.                                           

my way of thinking about the old steel & wooden girls is that if i can't find something down here i'd have to buy one up your way. time i spend $4 to 6,000 bucks on it, as/where is. shipping costs wouldn't cheap. at least $4,000. that's 10 grand gone there see.                                                                         

i think i can scrounge up enough slightly used metal. there's a 300 ford 6 cyl. with trannie and a 250 chev??? with trannie close by. the price is very right on. only problems i think i'll have is i need a welder to do the welding for me. i was talking to a welder and he says it's about a week to do what i need done. i can do a lot of cutting & fitting myself.  (hey i got the time)
   i'm going to check on the j5's now in the spring for axles, tracks and  rear end.
   i'm half decant with the woodworking part. i have enough tools. 
   so i'm thinking for ten thousand bucks, i can make one.  there are a couple of machines around me and the owners said they wouldn't mind me useing them for a guide.
   so, what do you all think i'm still crazy or i stand a chance of being the new kid on the block with a new play toy.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:10:19 pm »
old trucker
  I think you certainly have the main ingredient to "build a bombardier from scratch" and that ingredient is your passion. I can certainly read the enthusiasum in your posts. You remind me of that old tv show of McIver (he could make a bomb out of a pencil and snare wire).
  I wish you the best of luck in whatever trail you travel.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:52:23 pm »

Yes sir old trucker, it is absolutley possible to build a bombardier from scratch. As a matter of fact, I have built two in one afternoon. If you are talking about a larger version than these, then I don't think so. lol Mine was powerd by a string and piece of willow stick.
I made these for my kids 20+ years ago. My daughter had the red one and my son the blue one. As you can see from the front end and roof of the blue one; it has traveled a few miles around our yard on it's back like a turtle. He didn't care if it was right side up or not (that used to upset my daughter as she was always so carefull with hers). We always had alot of mini-bombardier tracks around our yard during the winters.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/aaaa.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/c.jpg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:29:00 am by grfishmaker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 06:54:51 pm »
      I've seen a c-18 before, I've seen a b-12 before. I've seen Dan Shavers little 350 (nick-named a c-6)
     But this is the first time I've ever seen a pair a c-1's !!! Are they wooden or metal bodied??/  Ha Ha Ha
     Do they come with am/fm/cd radios??

Offline DR.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:34 pm »
     Hey grfishmaker! I saw your pictures of the 2 bugs. Appears they would represent a wide gauge, but the body looks very similar to mine. I have no ID plate on mine. What year of bug did you replicate yours from?    Thanks!
DR.R

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 05:10:05 pm »
 Hello there Dr. R
  Those were just a drawing out of my head, following no great design (early 50's and on). Bombadier bodies have changed so little over the years, it would be very difficult to nail down the year of your machine by body style alone. Your best bet would be for you to take a few pictures of the machine, incuding things like door handles, door closures (type of pin), and sent it to Cranman and Ted, between them and the rest of the boys up there, I would bet they would narrow your machine down to within a few years on origin (if not the exact year) As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words).There is alot of knowledge about these machines up there with that group. Unless you owned the machine from new, it has probably had all kinds of modifications done to it by the various owners over the years. That's what makes it so hard to identify these old machines.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:33:39 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:32:54 pm »
A farmer in our area in Saskatchewan where I grew up built one from scratch back in the late 1940's or very early 50s. If Jack  could do it with the equipment and materials available at that time, building one nowadays should be a snap....

Offline B12 man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:07:14 pm »
Building a snow moble from scrack is not hard but if you were thinking of geting a j5 for axles then for get it only one axle is usable from a j5 the one right behind the cog the other two ar conected in tandom and ar no good for a snow moble for axles get a muskeg the under carege and axles are very simlear but the muskeg is a wide vecle it has a tracks to wide for a snow moble but remowing one set of grosers wil shorten the track and they are good for the snow moble i am also in the proses of making a snow moble and this summer i am get a mus keg that is scraped to help rebuild it good luck and dont give up.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 04:58:47 am »

According to what Averyman & you b12 man, have to say about building from scratch, I agree. B12 man where abouts do you live ??

I'm curious to see how you have planned to build your bomber. Feel free to send me an email & pics if you like.

I have built 15 of these machines already in my dreams.

This has been & still is a great site to learn about the history of these machines & I am proud to be a member of it.

Offline B12 man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:21:35 am »
i live in newfoundland finding a snow moble around hear is like hens teath but i am trying to find the parts for one with out having to go to far from home there was a guy in labrador selling one for $25000.00 but that was to much for me but it's fully restored.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 07:19:33 am »
Lord help us all, now we have two Newfies to deal with. ha ha Just kidding there B12 man. I won't apologize to the Old Trucker as he knows better that to expect an apology by now. He knows his place.
You two will have to team up together and start pumping out machines. I will be expecting a new prototype by mid summer.
 That's to bad about the high price. Most bombardiers in pretty fair running condition around Manitoba go for around $8,000.00 - $12,000. Naturally, if they are restored they fetch a higher price.
Good luck to you B12 Man.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:02 am »

Now Grfishmaker, don't get too upset cause your not down here with "da" boys. Hey b12 man what are you looking for ? There are a couple of bodies over here on the west coast!! Not much left on 'em though. There is one in Howley selling for 12 grand. Another in Gander for 15 g's.   
   There are around 30+ machines between Gander, St Anthony, & Corner Brook area. Where you longs to me son??

See, we got doose mainlanders all confused. Talking NEWFINESE. Grfishmaker is going bald scratching his head trying to figure out if we're talking bout him.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:42:25 pm »
OT - When I type that into the mainlander translation program, it means "Boy, I wished I lived in Manitoba".