Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 8596 times)

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Speedometer
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:06:40 pm »
We are rebuilding the dash on a 52 narrow machine and would like to know if any one has located a decent speedometer head to mount as well as the cable on electronic hook up to make it work.Has any one got their speedos to read properly.

Offline Stuk-n-Slush

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:50:35 pm »
swamp Dawg.

Check with Cranman,I think he duct taped his GPS to the dash, should be accurate enough.
or Check with Gary L. He picked up an electronic speedo for his 59 reck/restore.

Offline Skenman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:14 am »
Swamp Dawg

I constructed a new dash and had installed a 4" face tach c/w hr. meter instead of the speedo, also,a gps will give you a speed indication and  taken us home through blizzards on the lake.

Skenman
62 Wide

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:35:27 am »
We always have a gps with us, but we are wanting a factory looking dash with a speedo.  There must be some way of rigging in a speedo.

Offline Stuk-n-Slush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:51:17 pm »
www.stewartwarner.com
You probably already checked this site .
They Have 5" or 6" electronic speedos and gauge sets , the ( Wings style )
is close to original . Some nice stuff in their site.
I put a set in my 49 dash but no speedo, just a tach.
I think the speedo was around $300. with all the sensors. Cheaper in the States.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22:50 am »
Does anyone know if there is a speedometer that is controled by a gps sent signal? That is a wireless speedometer that is accurate without having to try and fool around with adaptors and gears. There are probably ones that read out in digital form, but I was looking for a regular looking speed gauge that is accurate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:41:23 am »
sorry about that Stuck-n- Slush. I forgot you had already mentioned Stewart Warner. they do have nice looking gauges. Now grfishmaker, be quiet or I'll show everyone what you really looks like.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:07:27 pm »
Yep we have a whole set of Datcon gauges now, still waiting on the speedo and pickup to come, its been back ordered for a while now.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:19 pm »
  Swamp Dwag are you ready to receive some snow? It is on sale now $500. per tractor trailer load..haha. Did you get you speedometer done yet? I was talking to a mechinic today & explained to him what you were trying to do with your speedo.
  He told me that the cable for the speedometer has a square end
on each end. He said to hook it up & run a measured mile & check to see how far it's off. Like if it's showing 80 %, you would change
color of the gear in the trans. For instance if you had a gear with 20 teeth in now you change for a gear with maybe 21 teeth to make it right. He also says the gears are color coded. It don't matter about the rear end ratio or tire size.
  I thought I'd ask him because he used to deal with transmissions
If you have trouble getting a cable long enough he said to see someone that does meters for taxis. They can make a cable different lengths & put the square ends on for you. Apparently the ends of the cables are all the same. I thought this may help you. If you already have it done, it may help someone else.
    Did you & Houlio get those clips done of the rally?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 02:49:13 pm »
Swamp Dwag how did or are you doing with the speedo??? Making any head way with it???

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:05:52 pm »
If any one is looking to make their speedos accurate Ive found a company that can help. They are out of Saskatoon and their name is Lawson products. All you need to do is compare your speedo speed to a GPS and they can supply you with a gear drive to go between the tranny and speedo. Dont know prices but will be checking them out when Im running. Their web site is www.lawsonproducts.com Check them out . Look under automotive and fleet products. If you need a speedo cable check out www.lokar.com thy can make a cable any length with any end. Hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:11:53 pm by gror »

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 11:20:46 pm »
Looks good. May even work on the pre 53's that registered 2 x the actual speed.

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 11:17:48 pm »
Changed the tire size on my truck and thru the speedo off enuf to get a ticket and add lots to the odometer