Author Topic: Sunk bombardier rescue (lots of pics)  (Read 4494 times)

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
Re: Sunk bombardier rescue (lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:35:07 pm »
Not a pretty site, but certainly could have happened in a worse spot. Thank goodness for shallow water. Shallow water is the only thing that goes ok with poor ice. I've worked with many a man that has said he can read ice, but I think we all know that nature holds the final turn of the cards. My father winter freighted by both cat and bombardier on Lake Winnipeg, Winnipegosis and Cedar Lake in the 1950's and I have see many a photo of some pretty elaborate rescues from below the ice. This picture can remind us all to be extra careful and hopfully we will never have to send in any pictures like these, even  though they are nice to see. It can certainly put a damper on the trip. I don't like shoveling slush from around my machine, let alone bail any water out of it. One has to only imagine all the stories that these old bombers could tell of their experiences that they were involved with over the years with their various owners.
It's nice to see this revamped old timer being pulled out to live once again to do what it was meant to do.
Let's be careful and leave the water for our boats in the summer.
Happy trails.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:42:50 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:51:02 am »
Yes very true.  Let this be a lesson to all of us, be careful around points of land, wind wash can really deteriorate ice.  If you must go through a narrows, go through the middle.  Or if you can go around, go into bigger water.  If you look at picture #2 you can see wind wash signs on the far shore.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:26:35 pm »
How did he get on with his machine when they got it out of the water??? Did they have to tow it home. Was there much water damage done to the drivetrain & interior??
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:15:46 pm »
A hatch spoils the look!! which is true.
But it sure is one heck of a heck of a safety feature!!!
What would it look like if you put in a smoke color pop out sunroof???
  In this cause it may have kept their feet dry.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.