Author Topic: engine temp  (Read 13033 times)

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: engine temp
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 03:53:42 pm »
nothing wrong with a clutch fan,run one on my v8 wide,never have over heating problems...
                                                                                          kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 08:18:02 pm »

Well I have 2 mechanics that think I am on the right track, & a tip for Fisher to check out.

Grfishmaker, with your bus fan on, the temp drops. Where do you think the extra heat is going to ?? I would tend to think it is going out through the motor doors. That makes me think if I had a heavy duty electric fan that pushes the heat out through the rad instead of pulling in, the cooler air will come in through the motor doors. Maybe there is such a thing as reverse fan that can bolt to the pulley. OT. just thinking out loud again.. !!

Powdery snow filled the engine compartment when I tied the side doors open all the excess water shorted the electronic ignition.

hello claude   i was away for a couple days.i was looking at the discussion on nt about the engines running hot in the bombers.im inclined to agree with your
mechanic,i think that a reverse pitch fan would solve the cooling problem by blowing air out through the rad.you dont have much room to put an electric fan between the engine and the rad.the engineers that designs engines and rad systems are saying that the rad is not cooling the engine,it is removing heat from the coolant.the heat in the engine compartment isn't causing the engine to run hot.where it is almost airtight,by putting fans on the motor doors is really pulling more air through the rad.if you put a 6 or seven blade reverse pitch fan on your engine and bigger louvers in the motor doors more cold air would be drawn in through the doors and through the rad.you could also make up a fan shroud like the ones on tractor trailers so you would get maximum air through the rad.you would need to make sure your rad is in good condition inside and out such as partly clogged tubes and rotted fins.you may be able to put vents near the front of your floor tunnel that would help to cool the diff when the fan sucks air through it.you can get those fans new but i don't know where maybe from napa.a lot of industrial machinery uses them such as forklifts and big generators.the j5 also uses them.im sending 2 pics of my j5 fan so you can compare it to yours.one of the fellows said his ignition died when snow went in through the motor doors.his system must have had cracks somewhere because i have poured water on those systems with a water hose looking for high tension leaks and never had one fail.hope this helps.   

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/014.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/015.jpg
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:48 pm »
The j5 is a whole different animal. The fan pulls the cold air in through the rad which is mounted over the engine. I think it was primarily designed this way for summer use to keep the enclosed cabs cooler. I have had some experience with j5's in the dead of winter. They can be cold and if you go any speed at all you'll have snowbanks on your arms and down your neck. Out of necessity once a friend used one in mid winter and he had to use heavy grease on every crack and hole and the doors to stay dry in there. by spring we were calling him  SLICK because his green parka was shiny black. Myself I haven't had much overheating except the last few days of the season. By then I have the cardboard out of the door louvers. Normally I close those for Dec to late Feb. I like to run at 180. I was told that at 160 there is 2x the wear on the engine and at 140 there is 4x. I can only use a low pressure cap 4 lb. As someone pointed out you don't want to take a flathead too much more or you could blow a head gasket. I think the material in headgaskets is better now. I used to carry one behind the seat rest where it would be protected. If you torque them right they shouldn;t blow and if they do maybee your head is warped or somebody got too zealous cleaning the block between the cylinders.
     Anyway that's my 2 cents on this. Old Armand must have given it some thought. Otherwise, why do our machines always run hotter downwind?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:15 am »

Cranman I was thinking about putting just the J5 fan blade onto the motor. Then the fan pushes the air out through the rad, instead of pulling like the J5. According to a owner of 7 J5's down here, he says you can put the J5 blade on 2 different ways. He have bought them from people saying she runs hot & seen that the blade was on backwards. What he means is one way it'll blow a small amount of air & the other way it'll blow alot more. Said it's due to the shape of the blade.
  I am not a mechanic by any means, I'm just trying to figure all this stuff out before I get too far ahead...     

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 07:33:22 am »
Yes you can put a fan on backwards and it won't pull as much but I still feel you want the air pressure going the other way to keep loose snow out. You should be ok with the multiple blade fan on the 300. I have had some success with fan shrouds if there is room and I saw one case where it solved the problem.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:53 am »
  Thanks Cranman. I have been around to different web sites & now I have an idea of how to build a shroud that should work. I will use the original clutch fan for now but will keep an eye out for a better one.
                                                                 One smarter OT.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:09:17 am by the old trucker »

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »
A few years back there were quite a few rads set up to have a shroud running fairly tight to the fan. You might make a cardboard template of your rad around to the local auto wrecker and get lucky. I made one with heavy galv. tin and pop rivets but the heavy plastic factory ones would look better and work better too I suppose.