Author Topic: engine temp  (Read 13060 times)

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
engine temp
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »
I was wondering what temp should a flat head 6 run at?

Offline gror

• View Profile
Re: engine temp
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:56:52 pm »
Not sure but mine runs around 200 f in 3rd gear, but drops down to 175 quickly in second. Seems hot to me but never boils over?

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:24 pm »
I don't have a flat head but a 300 6 in my 53'. Most all motors in bombadier's have always run hotter than you would normally desire, but that said, they just keep ticking like the little annoying pink rabbit. I think it is pretty normal for them to run at 200 or a little higher. I changed the thermostat in mine to a160 degrree and mine usually runs around 160-180 degrees and will reach 200 if the going gets tough. 100% of the machines around here are used for work purposes and some people install extra fans on the side motor doors.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:16:52 pm »

Grfishmaker when your ford engine reaches 200 degrees does the fan cut in automatically do you have it mounted direct to the pulley ??               
                                                                                              OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »
251 ind should run at 160 this motor is made to run whith a none pressure systeme or you blow head gasket do not use pressure cap

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:51:45 pm »

Grfishmaker when your ford engine reaches 200 degrees does the fan cut in automatically do you have it mounted direct to the pulley ??               
                                                                                              OT.
My fan is run direct off the pulley. I was told by someone last year to stay away from the clutch fans. This past winter I installed a new carburator, new maifold, new water pump, stainless steel thermostat and a five blade fan. After I did all this, the snow melted and never got to put her to work. One thing for sure, I now have motor fumes in the cab (never had this problem with the old four blade) and will have to block off the tunnel next fall. So for sure, there is no comparing the air movement with this fan. Now as soon as you open the motor door, the air movement is very noticable.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:24 pm »
I put a 190 degree thermostat in my 251, sure helped with the heater output and it hasn't boiled over yet ! I don't use a pressure cap on the rad.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »
I also have a large school bus heater in the front of my machine. So if I turn on all three fans on the heater, you can see the temperature on the gauge drop if you have them all turned on.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:29:01 pm »

Grfishmaker, with your bus fan on, the temp drops. Where do you think the extra heat is going to ?? I would tend to think it is going out through the motor doors. That makes me think if I had a heavy duty electric fan that pushes the heat out through the rad instead of pulling in, the cooler air will come in through the motor doors. Maybe there is such a thing as reverse fan that can bolt to the pulley. OT. just thinking out loud again.. !!

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
Ok there Mr. OT, I'm going to think like an Eastener. The excess heat is being blown off by the fans through the heaters rad. Or am I misuderstanding your question.
I don't know about reversing the air flow through the rad. How does blowing hot air through a hot rad cool the motor. I would think that sucking minus temperature air through a hot rad would be more efficient than what you are suggesting. That is why a exhaust fan on the motor doors works so well; as you are simply getting rid of the hot air as the rad fan sucks in more cold air. There, now I'm getting confused.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 04:40:49 am »

Just thinking out loud.... next time I'll think low...

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:25:25 am »
I've heard that somewhere before (about reversing the air flow). Is there some other type of machines machines out there that do that? I know that the faster you get the hot air to exit the engine cubby the cooler your temperature will be. Most people simpy tie the motor doors open, but electric fans on the motor doors does the same trick at the flick of a switch and you can quickly turn them off and on as needed.
I see the Hydro has always installed electric exhaust fans on all of its engine doors of their bombers.

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 06:51:01 pm »
had to break a road across the lake last winter in the deep snow when it was fairly warm out. Powdery snow filled the engine compartment when I tied the side doors open all the excess water shorted the electronic ignition. My fan pulls thru the rad and blows out the sides and under the floor depending on where u want the heat. If u reverse the airflow won't the flying snow problem be worse. I would like to figure out a cooling system like they have on liquid cooled snowmobiles to use in addition to the radiator system. Possibly run coolant thru the back pipe of the frame to melt ice build up, pipe it like another heater with an ajustable regulating valve of some kind. Still in the planning stages. Maybe use heat exchangers like snowmobiles?   

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »
Fisher - Have you ever seen bombardiers that have electric fans mounted on the motor doors to help expell the hot air? With this setup you can at lest leave your motor doors shut to help stop the swirling snow entering the cubby.

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:36 pm »
yep I've seen them. It would be nice to get rid of the ice build up too. Still in the planning stages anyhow.