Author Topic: Driver sprocket rubber  (Read 3966 times)

Offline LT

• View Profile
Driver sprocket rubber
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:16:41 pm »
I need to replace the rubber on my drive sporckets on my narrow guage.    What is the best way to remove the driver sprockets.   Is there a way to loosen the track tension so that the sprocket can be easily removed and reinstalled?

Larry...

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
Re: Driver sprocket rubber
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 02:48:18 pm »
I know on my brothers narrow gauge there are two track tensioners on the rear of the machine that will loosen the track you will have jack the machine up. What kind of belting  are you using  to replace the old stuff ?(we need to do this too)

Offline LT

• View Profile
Re: Driver sprocket rubber
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:21:29 pm »
Well I ended up doing this today....I am sure that there is an easier way than what I do.  I let the air out of the front and rear tire, tied a come along to the front of the track, attched it to the front ski spindle and it came off relatively easy.   Putting it back on was a bit of a struggel thoug, put with a pallet jack and a bar, and called in the assistance of a friend and we were able to put the drive sprocket on.   

I used John Deere round baler belting.   It is very strong, pliable and easy to work with.    An angle drill, 3 or four needle nose vise grips, an air chisel to knock off the old bolts, some fresh new bolts and I was ready to reinstall the wheel in an hour or so.   

Thanks for the information.