Author Topic: Track Tension  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Skenman

• View Profile
Track Tension
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:00:59 pm »
BOMBERS:
Just wonering how or what is the
best way to get them set up equal.
I know that the tension adjusters bolts are not in synk, so can't measure them to be equal .
So would you use a fish weight scale, say in the middle of the 2nd wheel or something, and pull up to get 4 " ??At 25 pounds ?

Skenman
62 wide gauge

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Re: Track Tension
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 01:27:46 am »
Quote from the 1951 manual...loosen the ten clamping bolts and turn adjusting screw as necessary to permit the track to be raised 2" to 3" by hand from the top of the second front wheel. Hope this helps

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:10:51 pm »
Ten clamping bolts  ???were are these?

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 12:13:13 pm »
On my machine the clamping bolts are on the inner side of the assembly that slides back and forth when you adjust the track. They clamp the axle assembly in place so the tensioner bolt does't take any weight when operating.  Your machine  is newer and likely different.  My post was mainly to give another way of judging the track tension without using scales.

Offline Skenman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:18:46 pm »
My 62, has 2 - 3/4 lag bolts , one each side at back. There is always tension on them. I'm thinking that i would put a bathroom scale ( The wife's,, that she never uses !! ) between the 2 and 3rd wheel. Put a bottle jack on top of the scale, and jack up, measure and compair to other side..,.

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:07:57 pm »
I was checking under my '48 N.G. today because the right track seemed a bit loose,as I went under I realized then that my clamping bolts were loose so I tightened the track to as close as i thought was ther same as the left side for tension then tightened up the clamp bolts.So then I checked the other side the claming bolts were tight but then I noticed my adjusting screw/bolt head was once rubbing on the back side of the tire but doesn't now cause there is a rain groove(as I call it) now cut into the tire.Anyone know why this has happened? Do you think that maybe my adjuster screw/bolt might be bent?   ???

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:39 pm »
There is very little clearance between the adjusting screw and the inside of the tire on my machine and a few marks on the inside of the tire too.  If a wheel bearing has been a bit loose or maybe even normal flexing under load could cause this.  Just make sure one of the flat sides of the screw is parallel to the side of the tire when you lock wire it to lessen the chance of contact.  Mine is a low hour machine so I think they were made that way...

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:13 am »
Thanks Averyman,won't worry so much anymore but will still keep an eye on it.